HOW CAN I GET A CREDIT CARD WITH LOW SCORE

DIRECTOR54

Most Helpful Response

Well, first you need to know what your scores are. Low doesn't pin-point your score.

Once you know your scores by signing up for a 3 in 1 credit report with scores. Take the number and check on this site to see what you may qualify for. also, go to www.creditcards.com and type in your info at the top left that says "Search cards matched for you", and it'll bring up a list of cards you may qualify for.

You can also build up your credit scores fast with a secured credit card. The more you add to the deposit, the higher you limit will go, which will effectively raise your credit score... as long as you stay around 25% owed on the cards.

Response by
afili8ter

That was helpful.  I was thinking of a secured card, but don't know how they work or which ones are good.

I have never liked to use credit, and that is why you'll  see no usage . My late husband was quite the opposite. I am a senior and am planning my once in a life-time trip to my home of Sweden in May, and need to have some kind of credit card for hotel, train and airfare.

Please let me know what I should do?

INKY01

Scores aside, what you want to do is repair first, then rebuild!

These folks are amazing on the FICO boards! http://ficoforums.myfico.com/

Go to the rebuilding section & read...read...read.

Response by
BungalowMo

Some secured credit cards even offer credit repair programs, where they will deduct around $10 a month from your card and report it as an on-time payment.  If you fail to maintain enough money on the card to pay the monthly fee, it can work adversely.  Not the greatest method, but still an option.  Every little bit does help when you have a low score, and when you do this for about a year, creditors will see you've made on-time payments for 1 year, which looks much better on you.  But yes, paying off open accounts will allow you to get a CC easily, as well as a better limit and interest rate.   

Response by
RiftZM2003

I would like to pay off the two negetive accounts I have but am waiting for tax refund and am going to dedicate it to those.    I want to negotiate a deal with them but I know from prior information, that I have to be very careful. .

INKY01

Submit to the Community