Question

dynamo116

Credit Card Balances Reporting to Credit Bureaus by Statement Close?
I noticed I had “balances/debt” that were affecting my credit score even though I pay off my cards in full. I checked my credit report and figured that any new balance I have accumulated between the due date and closing statement of the card will be reported to the credit bureau. (e.g. I pay off my card in full on Oct 28th, but the statement doesn’t close until Nov 4th or 5th or so. I make new purchases on Oct 29th, the purchases go from pending to authorized charge by Nov 2nd/3rd, and these new charges get reported to the credit bureaus as a ‘balance’ on my card).

So I’ve recently changed all my credit card due dates to the 1st of the month, so that the statement closing date will fall around the 5th or 6th (varies by credit card). I’ve decided to use my CCs after the 6th and pay it off in full by the 1st, and try not to have any activity between the 1st and 5th/6th just so I don’t have a ‘balance’ being reported and messing up my score. Is this method ok?? I've heard that having a $0 balance being reported every month isn’t good, but I am actively using my card, I’m just using them outside of the report-to-credit-bureau period so that I don’t have a positive balance being reported. If I follow this method, will the credit bureau still be able to see that I’m actively using my card, or should I leave one (or some?) card(s) with a $10 balance or so to get reported to the credit bureau?