Question

OldDebtsStink

Can a debt consolidation service with POA reset my old debts?
I was using a debt consolidation service to settle all my overdue credit cards.(4 years ago) They required my spouse and I to sign a power of attorney form to get certain creditors to cooperate with their mediation process. One of my last payments made to the debt consolidation service overdrew my bank account. I tried to cancel the payment but I was too late. A couple weeks later I decided I could no longer afford to continue paying them for their services. So, the creditor that was prepared to settle only received a partial payment. Does this type of activity constitute a payment on a debt made by me personally which thereby resets the date pertaining to the statute of limitations? Or - are the debt collectors who have recently filed a suit against me at my local magistrates office 'mistaken' about the actual date of the last payment made by me 'personally'?