Personal Loan Reviews

Results 1-10 of 238Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 24   Previous | Next
RIDICULOUS INTEREST AND FEES PLEASE READ Helpful to 37 out of 37 people

I had recently received a 2000.00 line of credit form Avant Credit at a whopping 24.99 % but I was down on my luck and agreed to the terms. They had told me at the time that they would automatically deduct 122.00 a month for the next 24 months. So i would pay 2928.00 for a 2000.00 line of credit. I desperatley wanted to pay this credit off quick to avoid such high fees. I called and spoke to a representative and asked if there were any penalties to pay off early and they told me no. I received this line of credit  toward the end of December and my first payment was due the 17th of January. A week prior to my due date I called in a 500.00 payment. A couple of days later I logged on to check out my statement And I had 376.00 in available credit and had a balance of 1634.00. Today on february 4Th I logged on again and had a balance 1792.00 and available credit of 208.00. the statement showed an interest charge of 37.00 and a monthly service fee of 118.00. I immediately called about this monthly service fee and they told me that the State of Maryland required them to charge a monthly service fee of 118.00. and so my 122.00 monthly minimum payment had went up to 277.00 for 24 months which means i would pay 6648.00 for 2000.00. (WOW). I inquired on how much it would cost me to pay off my whole line of credit? First they sais 1634.00 then they said 1792.00 because of the monthly service charge. I told them that this was a very big mistake and that I would I like to pay the line of credit off. They put me on hold and transfered me to a girl who said I owed the 1792.00 plus the 118.00 monthly service fee for february and the 37.00 interest.  total pay off 1947.00. Ive has this lin of credit  a little over five weeks and I already paid 500.00 plus I paid the 1947.00 to close this account total 2447.00 they also told me my next statement  may have additional interest for the 4 days in February. (possibly a march 118.00 service fee)

I can't believe CREDIT KARMA recommended this predatory lender to me ..

HOW CAN THIS BE LEGAL.

JohnBpsssd's review was:

Feb 04, 2014 Reply

JohnBpsssd(2, 37)

Review by JohnBpsssd

I totally agree with you. Here is a quote from the Credit Karma website "

Credit Karma™ is a completely free pro-consumer service dedicated to demystifying the credit landscape. With our credit simulators, free credit scores, credit advice, and credit score comparisons, our goal is to empower consumers to more actively manage their credit and their financial health.

What is the Pro Consumer aspect of referring this company?

Credit Karma should be ashamed of themselves. Avant charges 36 - 95% interest rate. Utterly ridiculous.

cmw208's reply was:

Feb 05, 2014

cmw208(1, 16)

Review by cmw208

Hello Again, John

I replied to your other review, but in case you don't see that response, please contact me at kevin (dot) castillo (at) avantcredit (dot) com so that I can investigate this with our team.

Thanks again for writing,

Feb 04, 2014

Top Contributor

Maybe I should be happy that I was rejected with a 607 credit rating. I'll just let the hard inquiry sit for 2 years but wish CK wouldn't have recommended I even try with them.

ljohnverrell's reply was:

Feb 23, 2014

ljohnverrell(5, 29)

Review by ljohnverrell

John,

Just an update to let you and other readers know that, based on your experience, we'll be changing our messaging to make things more clear and avoid misunderstandings in the future. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and we apologize for the lack of clarity that led to your issues.

As far as adressing your specific account and charges, we'll be reaching out to you personally.

Feb 04, 2014

Top Contributor

Remember, we live in a country with a capitolist government. Designed to keep us in debt, anxiety and fear. I myself am in critical danger. No one will help. Im about to say screw life because I cannot do this myself. It doesnt seem like anyone cares. The rich get richer. The poorer get poorer.

deathbymoney's reply was:

Mar 30, 2014

deathbymoney(1, 0)

Review by deathbymoney

Applied 4 days ago.. No decision yet! Helpful to 34 out of 36 people

Applied on a Mon. Called Tuesday, told waiting for employment verification- that they called my employer and the call wasn't answered.  My employer is a very large company with multiple switchboard operators and calls are ALWAYS answered.  I told them, and they said they would call again.  Later that afternoon I called again and was told employment was verified and a decision would be made by 5 pm.  Called Wednesday and was told app still being reviewed and would have a decision by 7pm.  Called today (Thursday) and told same thing- yet still no decision.  Strangely, after applying for this loan, I received a call yesterday from a man with a middle eastern accent.  He said he was with US Cash Advance- a known scam company.  Coincidence?  Avant Credit has lied to me for three days- seems like a scam.

Jun 06, 2013 Reply

I am really beginning to wonder about CreditKarma and some of the services they promote.  This showed up as an offer on my dashboard and I thought it would be interesting to check into to see about paying a few things off and have one payment to make things a little easier.  Came here to read the reviews and am alarmed to read that people are getting phone calls from strange men from the Middle East either from known scam companies, or asking them to switch banks.  I have also noticed a lot of other promotions I've looked into get very negative reviews as well.  Don't think I will be taking CreditKarma up on any offers, I guess it just goes to show you how careful you have to be when giving out any of your personal information.  Thanks for the reviews!

BlueLotus1015's reply was:

Jun 17, 2013

BlueLotus1015(1, 29)

Review by BlueLotus1015

i had a similar issue with them except they wanted my income verified sine i did not get direct deposit. so i sent them copies of my check stubs.. the next day i called to be sure they got it they said yes they were reviewing my app would have a decision by 7pm that day or by 7pm the next at the latest. when it did not post i once again called them only to be told that since i do not deposit the checks into my accoubt they would not be able to follow through with my loan. the next day i get a call from a man with a middle eastern accent and tells me they cannot go through with the loan unless i switched bank i asked what loan and he hung up... i found it a big waste of my time.

1britbrat's reply was:

Jun 14, 2013

1britbrat(1, 19)

Review by 1britbrat

We are sorry for any delay in verifying your information. We strive to complete all applications in 1 day; however, for some applications this process can take longer as we wait on additional verification to full-fill our commitment to responsible lending.  AvantCredit is in no way affiliated with US Cash Advance and does not sell your personal information to any other companies.  Please contact customer service at 800-712-5407 if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

Jul 24, 2013

Avant Credit Is Total Joke! Helpful to 28 out of 30 people

I applied last week and much like everyone else i was told i could borrow up to $2800 and i got the gold tier interest rate. I was happy i got approved because i really needed the funding. I called on saturday to make sure everything was ok and to let them know they couldnt verify my employment until the tuesday after labor day because we would be closed. I made sure all of the required documents were sent via online, all of my statements were true and i even went so far as to have an avant credit employee walk me through everything to ensure there would be no problems. I was assured that all they needed to do was check my employment and i would have my money. I called this morning and she told me they had called even though i told them not too until tuesday and that they would try again. 10 minutes after the call i get an email saying i was denied after all the hoops i went through! NO ONE EVER CALLED MY JOB!!!!! They didnt tell me why i wasnt approved and told me to write a letter.... ITS 2013, WHO SENDS LETTERS! I spoke with a manager and several employees but no one could help or tell me anything. Avant is a joke, They waste your time, give you hope and then pull it out from under you. What a stupid idea for a company. Im disgusted and i will be sure that everyone i know hears about this and i will be posting about it in various blogs and social media until people know what a scam this company is! Dont read into these stupid "im so sorry posts" from their company bots trying to clean up their image either because thats fake too! They do not care about you! DO NOT MAKE PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE GETTING A LOAN WHEN THAT IS NOT THE CASE! Now this company has all of my banking information and i have a hit on my credit for nothing! I am not happy! Credit karma is awesome but they should never promote this company they are not legitimate!

screenfx's review was:

Sep 03, 2013 Reply

screenfx(1, 28)

Review by screenfx

I got curious and used Avant's Chat tool to discuss the "pre-approval" process...According to the Chat rep:

1) Avant accepts credits scores begining at 550...scores over 600 have better chnace of apprval.

2) Initial Credit report review is a "hard" inquiry

3) Avant uses Transunion  for its credit history review

4) based on the intial "pre-approval" review, Avant determines just how much the applicant is qualified to borrow...so the "how much to you want to borrow" sliding bar really is just a gimic and has no real revelance....

LCborrower's reply was:

Sep 04, 2013

LCborrower(13, 43)

Review by LCborrower

Application approved then denied? Helpful to 24 out of 27 people

I was approved online, submitted my income verification online by providing my online banking info to avant credit. I was approved for the gold tier interest rate and $1,100. Not bad considering. Even got an email stating I was approved and all I needed to do was sign my contract and I would get funds as soon as the next day. I signed the contract, provided the income verification (I'm a teacher and have been at my employer for 5 years). I thought my problem was solved and I had found a lender. I received an email the next day stating my application was denied! I called customer service and they told me the computer makes the decisions and they had no information. I asked if "the computer approves an application then changes its mind"?. I was told "yes that can happen". After all that effort and thinking I had a lender lined up it is now Friday and I'm left in a bind. I need to find a new lender for an unexpected expense that I need to pay for on Tuesday! My advice is stay away from any company that tells you your approved, has you sign a contract then says no wait! The computer changed its mind. Unbelieveable.

holyfa01's review was:

Aug 02, 2013 Reply

holyfa01(1, 24)

Review by holyfa01

Same thimg happened to me. my advice is do not use this comp SCAM all over it..... Credit Karma srop putting thiem on your page

tjomast2's reply was:

Oct 30, 2013

tjomast2(2, 10)

Review by tjomast2

I'm sorry you had to go through that :( I'm looking for a lender as well. If I come across one I will be sure to share info. With you. Keep your head up better days ahead :)

sonnia

JustSonnia's reply was:

Aug 05, 2013

JustSonnia(1, 2)

Review by JustSonnia

@holyfa01. In order to full-fill our commitment to responsible lending, a percentage of our customer applications do go through an online final review process after pre-approval. This review process may change the status of your loan. We apologize for any confusion in your loan application process. To find out more about your application and why you were declined, please send us an email to support@avantcredit.com with your customer details so we can review your account in detail or a letter regarding your situation to the address below:

AvantCredit Corporations

Aug 06, 2013

AvantCredit Corporations

Aug 06, 2013

Liar liars Helpful to 33 out of 38 people

So I applied on The morning of June 14th. Later on that day they sent me an email telling me I needed to fax my paycheck stubs. So I did and they verified they received them. Then they said that had to verify my employer. So I called them 3 days later and they still say the same thing. They tried to say they called my employer and no one picked up. Liars. If I didn't get approved just tell me so I can come up with a plan B instead of getting the run around. I would NEVER recommend them to anyone. I keep waiting for the foreign man to call :)

Hilpertbeth111's review was:

Jun 18, 2013 Reply

Hilpertbeth111(1, 33)

Review by Hilpertbeth111

@Hilpertbeth111, It’s disappointing to hear that you had a bad experience with AvantCredit. We take all feedback very seriously and continuously try to improve our customers’ experience.  For some applications, we might need to verify employment to confirm the identity of the applicant as well as to full-fill our commitment to responsible lending.  We work to complete this process within 1 day, but sometimes we must wait on external parties for verification. We respect your time and would never intentionally delay letting you know your funding status. We are sorry for the delayed response, and please don’t hesitate to contact customer service at 800-712-5407 if you have any additional questions.

Jul 24, 2013

Yikes! Helpful to 7 out of 7 people

I feel very, very disappointed with this company.
I do understand they need to take every possible safeguard to ensure they get repaid, I am not stupid and get it.

All the people that comes here is people with less than stellar credit and that's it what they say, that they can help people with not perfect credit, otherwise why would be paying 30% or higher for a loan when the banks charge 1/3 of that.

I tried to gather all the facts BEFORE applied, had two chat sessions and explained my particular situation, my FICO averages 670 between the 3 bureaus (although they say that mine is 697, go figure)

Have a steady job, over 6 years with the same major corp, provided pay-stubs and any other info they required.

They ask for me to connect to my bank through their website, which reluctantly accepted.

My bank has multiple security layers, is not just user name + password for log-in, so Avanta's site can't handle it.

Spoke to different CS reps explaining what the problem was for two days, although there was one fairly rude woman all the other CS were fairly nice but regretfuly I can't say the same of the results.

I kept being told that the verification department would contact me and figure how to retrieve the 'missing" info

Of course they never did, and only found out I was rejected after ANOTHER call.

It is hard to understand why they would be stretching the determination for two days, without never reviewing the bank information.

As I said very disappointing and a waste of time.

I know the PR guy will post a rebuttal comment with the same words he uses each and every time without even knowing who the "commenter" is and having no clue why the application was turned down, just using the jargon script.

In any event do not apply if you have high hopes are under time constraints or your credit is not perfect, and yes I know all the BS with the ratios and everything else.

Good luck

eddio49's review was:

Mar 06, 2014 Reply

eddio49(2, 9)

Review by eddio49

Hi Eddie,

What a great review, sums it up perfectly. I made the mistake of thinking I had a chance when they asked for and I reluctantly did the bank connect thing. The second I hit the send button, I got rejected. What in the world did they want my bank info for when they already had all the credit information they needed? Next thing you know, you are getting call after call from people with middle eastern accents saying they are pleased to inform you your app is approved. I would rather wait until my credit is closer to stellar and go through one of the big lenders. What a waste of time this place is.

jaccid's reply was:

Mar 07, 2014

jaccid(26, 39)

Review by jaccid

Hi eddio49,

I'm sorry that you had to go through all of those hoops, only to get denied in the end. From your description, it's clear that we dropped the ball in our rep interactions with you.

I apologize that our site couldn't handle your banking info, that you encountered someone rude, and that we did not keep our promise to contact you. These are things we do want to address, but to do it, I need some info from you. If you are willing to contact me at kevin (dot) castillo (at) avantcredit (dot) com, with some identifying details, I will look into your experience.

We read every review not for the purpose of posting PR-motivated "rebuttals", but truly in hopes of identifying issues that people are having using our service, and addressing them. Reaching out to reviewers like yourself is the best way we know how to get to the source of the problems expressed in some reviews.

You're absolutely right about the fact that I don't know who most commenters are when I post my initial response, or what exactly led to the issue they've had or are having. That's due to the fact that people either post anonomyously here on Credit Karma, or use a screen name.  Without specific information to identify each commenter/case, I respond simply to let people know that we're listening to these reviews, and invite them (as I did with you) to follow up with me and the team through email with specific details. Getting those identifying details is the only way I can get enough information to do any research/take any further steps. In your case, for example, I can look at they notes from the calls you made, and see what went wrong.

There is no "script", but point taken about the sameness of some of my responses. There are only so many ways to say "I'm sorry, please let me know more so we can follow up", but I'll work on it!

Hope to hear from you soon, and again, my apologies on behalf of the entire team.

Mar 06, 2014

Declined with no reason! Helpful to 6 out of 6 people

Applied for an Avant loan after reading that people with a credit score of 550 got approved, and mine is at a 600. I applied for $3500, and was automatically declined with no explanation as to why.

Would have been nice to at least know, or be offered a counter.

Wouldn't recommend.

Sep 30, 2013 Reply

We apologize for your experience with us. It's important to remember that credit score is only one component of our loan decision process. To find out more about your application and why you were declined, please send us a letter regarding your situation to the address below:

AvantCredit Corporation

Oct 03, 2013

Top Contributor

I feel the same way and was just rejected. Don't even both applying if your score is in the low 600's. They wil reject you and you will get an inquiry.

ljohnverrell's reply was:

Feb 23, 2014

ljohnverrell(5, 29)

Review by ljohnverrell

Waste of time and Hard Inquiry Helpful to 5 out of 5 people

This is a waste of time. Would have been better to get cash advances on current credit cards (a sure thing) than waste an hard inquiry.

gatorsigns4's review was:

Jan 17, 2014 Reply

gatorsigns4(1, 5)

Review by gatorsigns4

APPROVED AND FUNDED! Helpful to 9 out of 10 people

OK…Here is my summarized experience with Avant’s loan process.  I thought the following described experience may provide some useful information for Credit Karma members who are thinking about applying for a loan with Avant. (i.e., Should you risk a “hard inquiry” being reported on your Transunion credit report?)

IMHO

What do I think?…… I would risk a reported “hard-inquiry” and apply for an Avant Loan..…Chances are that if you have reasonably fair-good credit worthiness, Avant will offer a structured loan for your considered acceptance that Avant can approve.….GOOD LUCK!

My Stats:

Credit Score:  CK - Transunion 700; CK – Vantage 721

The Borrowing Experience

I completed the initial online application with Avant and was instantly informed that I qualified (i.e., pre-approved) for the “Platinum” rate-level and I was simultaneously directed to Avant’s “structure your loan” webpage.  This webpage indicated that I qualified for a loan ranging from $0 to $10,000, with 12 to 24 months payment periods.  After I initially structured my desired loan terms, Avant’s online review then proceeds to a ”preparing the contract” process….after about 10-15 seconds in this process, I was redirected back to the “structure your loan” webpage showing final loan terms that Avant was prepared to offer.

I accepted Avant’s final loan offer, and Avant’s online application review proceeded to the “preparing the contract” process, where upon a written contract was presented for my review/approval/electronic signature (this process includes providing checking account “routing number” and “account number”).

After electronically signing the contract, Avant’s online process directed me to the online “verify income” process.  The “verify income” webpage is interesting.  The borrower is provide with two options to verify income: (1) logging onto your bank’s website while on Avant’s website, or (2) uploading a pdf-copy of either of a recent bank account statement or a recent “pay-stub”.   Because I could not fully understand the “disclosure” statement provided for the “log onto your bank’s website account” option #1 (i.e., I couldn’t understand the implications of logging onto your bank account website while on Avant’s website), I chose to verify my income by uploading a colored scanned pdf-copy of my recent “pay-stub” (this process was easy enough).  Following completion of this process, I received an email from Avant thanking me for my application, instructing me to complete all the above described tasks, and advising me that if all the above described tasks were completed, I should log-on to Avant’s website to check the status of my application.

Approximately 2-3 hours after initialing completing the online application process, I received a call from an Avant representative, for the purposes of “Identity Verification”.  After successfully answering all questions, I was advised that final “employment/income verification” was next (I confirmed Avant’s receipt of my up-loaded pay-stub), followed by final credit review by Avant’s underwriters.

LOAN WAS APPROVED AND FUNDED!

Oct 01, 2013 Reply

I doubt this this a real review. If it is keep in mind what he says his credit score is. Of course he got a loan! The issue here is that they claim to cater to people within a certain credit range and they do not. I have 23 saved voicemenals from a middle eastern guy with a foreign accent from "Cash Servies" saying he is "pleased to inform me my credit application is approved" after applying for a loan last year. They are still calling! Dont waste your time giving out all your info and compromising your account and identity info.

jaccid's reply was:

Feb 14, 2014

jaccid(26, 39)

Review by jaccid

Top Contributor

What interest rate if you don't mind me asking?

Blacksmithgirl's reply was:

Nov 16, 2013

Blacksmithgirl(2, 2)

Review by Blacksmithgirl

obviously if you have 700 score, any lender will approve you.

I never apply with avant credit and will never do after reading all the reviews.

People with bad credit can rest assure no lender will lend you money. Don't waste time and believe what they say. Just work hard and slowly pay back your debt and start over.

Catniki's reply was:

Mar 26, 2014

Catniki(1, 0)

Review by Catniki

I doubt if you are real. In fact, I think that you are a plant seeking to turn around AvantCredit's negative reviews. They sent an offer to me too but I KNOW that I would never be approved. With a possiible 50% interest, no one in their right mind would agree to these terms. If you can't manage basic credit....you can't afford those terms. I'm never late on payments, I just haven;t had my cards long enough. SMDH... Credit Karma is becoming a real joke and I'm growing weary of them more and more everytime I log in.

mommie3564's reply was:

Mar 07, 2014

mommie3564(6, 2)

Review by mommie3564

Quickest Way To get money TOMORROW! Helpful to 4 out of 4 people

I was denied a loan from my bank because I had a few credit dings about a year ago (screw comcast). I had no other choice but to check out Avant after hearing about them from local media sources. The application took about 10 minutes and was pretty straight forward. I make decent money but my bank denied me, but I was in need for short term money to pay for housing repairs due to a leak. My apr was right around 35%, but if you plan accordingly and payoff the balance quick it's not a bad price to pay. Definitely worth checking out, plus, unlike payday loans they report to the 3 major credit bureaus. If you make timely payments, it'll help improve your credit score as well!

Apr 06, 2014 Reply
Results 1-10 of 238Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 24   Previous | Next

Add Your Review Of Avant Credit

Compare Personal Loan Rates

View your top personal loan recommendations and compare rates on Credit Karma.

FIND RECOMMENDATIONS

AvantCredit is a consumer lender offering a fast, simple, and secure borrowing experience to consumers with less than perfect credit.

Borrowers can apply online for a personal loan ranging from $500 to $20,000. AvantCredit customers can take advantage of competitive APRs with no hidden fees or charges, and a completely easy and friendly experience.

Founded in 2012, AvantCredit is headquartered in Chicago, IL. AvantCredit offers 24/7 customer support now servicing 18 states with more to come soon

Company Details

AvantCredit

• Established: 2012
  • Headquarters: Chicago, IL
  • Website: www.avantcredit.com
  • Products: Personal Loans
  • Assets: N/A
  • Available: Online for select states

APRs presented are estimated and were created based upon information entered by the consumer and through analysis of information publicly available at AvantCredit.com. The estimated APR presented does not bind AvantCredit. The range of APRs available through AvantCredit is 26% to 95%. Only borrowers with the best credit qualify for the lowest rate available. Your actual APR depends upon credit score, loan amount, loan term, credit usage and history. All loans are subject to credit review and approval.