SoFi

Reviews: SoFi

SoFi

3.6

Aug 15 2020

I wanted to get a loan to refinance credit card debt at a better interest rate. I decided to apply for the loan before my credit moved into the excellent category (as I wanted to try for a better rate) but decided to go ahead as part of my debt paydown plan. The application process was very easy and not tedious. It did take longer to get approved than stated, but that was partially due to needing to use a more recent pay stub, and verify my income. Customer service was very knowledgeable, and helped me make a slight adjustment to the loan to get the terms I wanted. Interest rate is not fantastic, but it beat some of the other competitors who charge fees, and it is much better than the 27% or more I was paying on a discover card. Once the loan approved, the funds were deposited the next day, and I immediately began paying off the credit cards; which has already greatly improved my credit score, and put me in a better position to refinance my home mortgage soon! I spent months looking at loan options and offers from other lenders, and I would definitely recommend SoFi to others.

May 21 2020
Neolithic Incompotence.........

I have been in the Mortgage Finance business for 24 years. I have a 787 Fico, 339k in income the last 3+ years, and only have 9k in credit card debt (Outside of a current Sofi Loan). I re applied to increase my loan amount as extra cushion for the current state of things. After three weeks of sending Sofi document after document, and sending the President an email regarding how bad their Underwriters are at reviewing what is being sent, I was declined for Ratios. My Debt To Income ratios are 19%, I know because Ijustr efinacned my own loan. Sofi is belligerent and dishonest, I have filed a claim with the CFPB. Lets see if Credit Karma actaully posts this review!

personal loans document icon

Explore our personal loans

See offers from 20+ lender partners to find one that matches your goals.

All reviews (409)

Apr 06 2021
Unless you???re in desperate dire straits

Even if you're in a death bed think twice before getting a loan from SoFi. Not worth the loan amount, the process and not to mention hefty way they calculate the interest they charge you.

Mar 23 2021

I am not happy at all !!! At first everything was going fine , I gave them what they needed to get approved . Then after I gave them my banking information , I mean my routing number bank account number and all that good stuff all of a sudden they needed more information. I've had the same job over ten years and have never in 45 years missed any payments on anything ! At the end I was so mad wanting to speak with a manager and just was hung up on! These people are not legitimate!

Mar 18 2021

Credit karma states I had a 90% chance of getting loan. Wasted time applying only to get denied. Don't waste your time.

Mar 18 2021
Amazingly incompetent!

We were refinancing a loan with them, with 780+ credit scores and 13% debt ratio... it literally took over 8 months. The amount of money we lost in interest, the amount of time that we lost, waiting weeks for any response, only to need to send them the same paperwork over and over and over. No apologies, no explanations. Will not EVER use them again. Worst experience EVER

Mar 07 2021
rate bordered on predatory

My credit score was in the mid 700s when I got a personal loan with SoFi. The only thing bringing it down was high utilization, which had happened when I was forced to take on some debt as a result of struggles with my businesses in 2020. But I still had more than enough income to justify both the existing debt and plenty more on top of it. At this point most of my debt was on credit cards ranging from 7-15% rates. SoFi approved me, but for a rate of over 15% - higher than any of my credit cards! And this was after I had been running low five figure amounts through my SoFi checking account consistently for a couple of years. I needed the cash at the time so I took it. And to SoFi's credit, I had no issues with the way the loan was handled once I had it. But because of the interest rate, I paid them off ASAP and will never consider them again unless I'm desperate again. A personal loan should have a lower rate than credit cards, not a higher one. Had they come in somewhere in the 7-10% range, that would have been in line with what I expected given my credit profile at the time and this would probably be a 5 star review. But they took advantage of me when I was down and charged much more than what was reasonable. My advice to you would be not to apply unless you are desperate because whatever you are currently paying on credit cards (and most people pay much higher rates than I do given that before this little episode my credit was in the 800s and thankfully it will be back there again soon since I didn't make a single late payment and have most of the debt paid off already), SoFi will probably charge that much or more.

Jan 21 2021
Ignore you after the application

We applied for a refinance loan on our condo in November 2020. Our loan officers Andy and Joey provided all the forms to get the process going. It was pretty easy. We supplied the required information, got responses to our questions, and then the loan went into closing in mid-Dec. After that, the customer service dropped off a cliff. Our main point of contact--Joey--stopped responding to emails and voicemails. Our closing date at the end of December came and went without any reply to our questions about final closing costs and fixed dates. Then the SoFi website changed our estimated closing to Jan 4 without warning. We assumed the holidays had delayed things and gave it another couple of weeks. Still no communication from SoFi. Finally we appealed to Andy, who didn't have answers but assured us he'd try to get in touch with Joey and would also involve management in the process. Another week went by. Then another week. We tried emailing and calling both, to no avail. Our communications were completely ignored and our questions went unanswered. We said we were considering walking away and finding another lender with more reliable customer service and response time. Still nothing. On Jan 20 our estimated close date was again moved back, this time to the very end of January, again with no notice or explanation. We've contacted SoFi numerous times, first kindly, then frankly, and have yet to receive even an acknowledgment of receipt, much less an explanation for why we're being ignored and why the finalization of our loan keeps getting moved. There are other lenders out there with the same rates as SoFi, and I encourage you to consider them above this company that obviously doesn't value its customers. Hundreds of thousnands of dollars might mean nothing to SoFi, but for us it's a big deal and when we're treated this way and will have to do business with them for years to come, we'd rather go with a company that at least pretends to value its customers.

Jan 12 2021

Easy Process

Jan 05 2021
No One Knows Anything

My loan was turned down three times because they said they couldn't verify my income. I supplied bank statements, paystubs, and letter from the CEO. Everytime it was declined customer service couldn't explain why the information I provided wasn't good enough.

Jan 02 2021
An absolute nightmare of a company

If you like your sanity, do not, under any circumstances, do anything with SoFi. They were great when they were just starting out as a company, but have absolutely gone down the drain. I refinanced my house with SoFi after a reasonably smooth student loan refinance process. It took two and a half months of back and forth with people who had absolutely no idea what they were doing. I was sent forms marked INTERNAL ONLY- when I argued that I had no idea what some of the terms on the form were (because they referenced INTERNAL PROGRAMS AT SOFI), the underwriter argued with me and basically called me an idiot. She then went behind my back and harassed my HOA to get this wrong form filled out. I had to get to the point where I refused to speak to her and would only work with her slightly less incompetent manager. We had to push the closing twice because the underwriter was so slow and so bad at her job. Then, the morning of closing, I'm told they're sending a lawyer and that I need a witness to the paperwork. Gee, that would have been nice to know the morning of. It was an absolute train wreck, start to finish. Go anywhere else.

Dec 31 2020
Bad approval odds

Even though credit karma said i had great approval odds, even with both my husband and my income and 685 and 702 credit scores we were denied. Had to send them multiple pay stubs different ways, wouldnt accept most of our submits (couldn't see both pages of a two page document in the same picture etc.) Would not recommend.

personal loans document icon

Explore our personal loans

See offers from 20+ lender partners to find one that matches your goals.