Question

ekarafin

What is the chance of getting this credit card with a serious delinquency on the account?
Long story short - last year when I was abroad when my ex made a purchase on my Amex charge card which resulted in a 60 day overdue balance and ultimately collections (got paid off within a week). This created significant damage to my report for something I did not directly do. I am a very frequent traveler and am hoping to get a card with travel benefits in early 2017. Is it virtually impossible to get a good rewards card with a delinquency on the account?

One paid collection wouldn't make it impossible, it would depends on your overall credit profiles and what card(s) you want... If your profile do not have any positive accounts? Then yes it might be impossible to get a reward card right away, but if your profile shows multiple positive accounts/payment history? Then you have much better chance... If you desire AmEx again after you burn them? Then yes it would be virtually impossible to get back with them, even when you did pay them back, it might take 20 years for them to forgive, but others like CapOne's Venture/Venture One or Barclays Arrival/Arrival Plus? You might have chance.

don't plan on getting any "Amex " any time soon or in the next 2 to 5 years,   otherwise you should be ok.