Question

whynotme3

what are the pros and cons of increasing credit card limit?
I received an offer to increase the credit limit on one of my credit cards. It looks appealing but I'm not sure how it would impact my score

Hi there,

You might find this article we've written to be helpful: https://www.creditkarma.com/article/relationship_score_and_credit_limits

As long as you can trust yourself with the higher line then you should jump on it, it will be good for your scores. The only cons I could think of is if they do a hard inquiry for the increase, that would be a slight score ding, but worth it as a higher line will help your utilization. The other con is if you are on a limited income and are thinking of applying for credit for something else, the higher limit on the card would affect your debt to income ratio and could get you denied for credit from another lender if they were afraid that your income could not support your amount of credit.