Question

wizardrycon

Want to rebalance my credit cards to take advantage of 0% APR promotions
Hopefully someone can give me some insight on this - I have several credit cards and pay around $250 per month in interest. I have the ability to transfer this balance across 3 cards that are providing me a 0% APR until 10/2016 thus saving me the interest cost. My credit score is pretty good (770) but by moving this debt to those cards it will put them at 100% utilization - dropping my other cards to 0%. Also this is a large amount of debt transfer in the $25,000 range.

Now my question - I know this will drop my score down but how significantly?

Will this drop in score plus the high utilization on those 3 cards (even though my overall utilization will still be 20%) cause panic to my other lenders when they see such a large drop? Will they lower my credit limits thinking there is something wrong?

Has any one tried this?

Thanks for your responses!

Son't think they will lower limits.

What I would do is move that debt onto new credit cards offering 0%. This will benifit you in 2 ways, It will save you interest and it will raise your available credit. With your score you should be able to qualify for any of the best offers out there. I would suggest that you open 2 new cards on the same day transferring 80% of the high interest balances between them. Then pay off the old cards and retire them. Keep the old accounts open in case you need the extra credit in an emergency.