Question

Posted in Taxes

qwest2740

should I pay off a IRS bill with a creditcard or make payments
I have bneen hit last year, and now again, with a $1700 under-payment on taxes due primarily to my 2nd job. I have been making $100 per month payments, and I still owe $1400 from last year, now I have another $1700 hit. I wonder if given the fee's and penalties on a payment arrangement, if it might be better to put it all on a credit card and be done with it

Most Helpful Response

The interest charge on the majority of credit cards is far higher than  the penalty charged by the IRS, so your best choice would be to make payments.  And, since you've been hit twice, I'd suggest consulting a tax professional next year to make sure your tax returns are correct.  Sure, you'll pay for this service, but it will be overall less than what's happening now.