Question

trublonde2010

Should I get a credit card?
I am 21 years old and my credit score is considered fair but it is because I have student loans that I have to start paying back. I want to know if I am at the age where I should get a credit card and start trying to build up my credit or if there is a better way to build up my credit! I need advice! (:

Most Helpful Response

In general, yes, it sounds like you are at a point where it would make sense to get a credit card, use it some, and PAY IT OFF EACH MONTH.  There is no need to carry a balance to help your credit score -- contrary to what some people may tell you.  Instead, get a card that you like -- preferrably with no annual fee -- and it should help to establish your credit and increase your credit score over time.

There are lots of card choices -- you might browse through some offerings on this site and see what works best for you.  Or you could also try one of the blogs related to credit cards with sign-up bonuses to see where you might be able to benefit even more from your card choice.  Try Million Mile Secrets, for example, and look for a no-fee card with a decent sign-up bonus.

- John