Question

jmomma35

secured card but want to switch to unsecured
I used to have perfect credit and some things happened about 8 yrs ago and I had to get a secured credit card, Ive had it for about 6-7 yrs now with perfect history and now have a unsecured with a start limit of 14,000, Ive had for about 2 & 1/2 years. I am paying like 23/mth for the secured card and want to switch it over but that is my longest open account, what should I do and btw I now have a 699 trans and a 778 Equifax so my scores arent a problem.. I just keeo hearing not to close this account as it will effect my credit length/history??

Contact the company that issued

The secured card.  Ask them if they can convert it to an unsecured card. Most will convert after 1 year of good history.  

If they refuse. Then go find another card that doesn't have any fees.  There are several offering 0% that you should be able to qualify for. After securing a new card or two, then call and ask again if they can change it over. if they refuse, then go ahead and close it.  The monthly cost isn't worth it, You've paid your dues. Securing another card or two with higher limits will more than offset the loss of the secured card. Your score will take a hit for a while but should bounce back within a couple of months. 

Good Luck