Posted in Retirement
Retirement and credit cards
I retired early (age 63) last year due to health reasons and am working only part time. I have a credit score of 734 and have one high interest credit card (they recently raised my rate to 20.5 even though I have never been late) that I want to take out a new card and do a balance transfer and pay off the high rate card. I have been turned down by three companies because my debt to income ratio is now out of whack because my income has decreased. I pay all of my bills on time and that is reflected on my credit report. Any advice from anyone on how to pay off this high rate card?

Paperman159

Pay the minimum payments on the other debts and make any additional payments you can afford to the high interest rate one. Your score is likely taking a hit with the various applications for new credit, which is worsening that.

If you have equity in your home, you may be able to take out a home equity loan at a reasonable rate.

Response by
phnxangell

Do you have any equity in a home? You could always do a second mortgage, which may provide a much lower interest rate. In addition, the interest paid on this type of loan may help get you a break on your taxes.

Just a thought.

Brian

Response by
bkcoughlin

Submit to the Community