Question

Bacondoggy

My girlfriend used my credit card the full time I was incarcerated. SHE got the card in the mail
2 quick questions, if I report this, could she go to jail (I was NOT trying to have that happen) and also, She charged close to the neighborhood of 5,000. I believe SOME of it was towards my own court costs (She said she would pay them off, yet she never mentioned she was going to use my credit card or anything of mine!). So if I file a fraud claim, will I end up paying the percentage of my costs she put on this credit card?

Most Helpful Response

She would most likely be arrested for identity theft and fraud if you report this, which is most likely a felony in your state. Somebody will need to be held accountable if you report this, it will not just be forgotton about. In order to dispute something like this with a credit card company or credit bureaus you will have to fill out a form for identity theft and the authorities will get involved. I really don't know what to tell you beyond that. Did you support your girlfriend before you went to jail and then left her without any money to take care of things? If that is the case, then I can understand it, afterall it was most likely your fault for going to jail and not hers. Now, if you did not support her prior to your incarceration, I would tell you to get away from this girl because she is going to cause you more trouble in the future, remember that you cannot change people, people can only change themselves and most don't change. Probably the best thing to do here either way is to just pay the bill and move forward with your life with or without her and keep yourself out of jail.

Bacondoggy

I was in jail for 16+ MONTHS for being just AROUND alcohol (I did not consume even above a legal driving limit, and found out through transcripts I was never ordered by the judge to a "zero tolerance" so in my case, I should have been able to drink. Anyway! She did but a large portion of my fine on my own credit card (I don't know why - if she didn't have the money I would have told her NOT to - oh well). But she SAYS she will pay the bill that she run up off "in like 8 months". So I guess eventually she WILL pay it offf, but she is not respectful and on top of it, my credit is in the meantime, being trashed since its sitting in collections...