Question

mrushtonk8694

Increase Credit without Credit Card
I am 19 years old, and am trying to figure out how to increase my credit score without having to get a credit card? I have no desire to ever have a credit card, as I don't want to spend money I don't actually have.

Most Helpful Response

Although that is a very admirable idea, it doesn't work.  A Credit Report and Credit Score is all about.....Credit!!!   If you don't carry any credit, then they can't see how you handle credit, so you really need to get a credit card and use it once in a while.  If your goal is to increase your credit score, you should always keep a small balance on the card (1-3% of credit limit).    Visit www.creditcards.com to compare all cards that are out there, rates, fees, etc.  I prefer the Amex Blue Card, no annual fee and you get points for using it.  If you don't qualify for a regular credit card, then start out with a secured credit card.  Best of luck!

icuhowie

Never Keep a Balance!  It does nothing to your Credit Score if you do!

Having a Credit Card does not require spending money you don't have.

I have 12 Credit Cards,  0 Balance on each one.   All the Credit Cards are tucked away

Do you have to spend money to increase your payment history?  NO!,    For over 3 months I just paid a 1.25 to a number of Accounts that showed up on CK as a Payment, after a 2 or 3 months the Credit Card company cuts a check sending my money back so I can do it all over again.  With this you also get your statements ( I like the paper statements still ) 

Have savings with Captialone360 with 17 different accounts,   3-6 months exp then different fund accounts,  for Car, Clothing, Taxes, Xmas,  vacation etc.  

When we go shoping for Clothes we can take one of the Credit Cards ( depending on the deals out their ) and make the purchase knowing we have money in the clothing fund acco**** that will pay the account off when the statement comes in.

So there is not need to go into debt with credit cards.  Just need to make sure you have the money saved first before you make the purchase,