Question

dart00011

Improving my credit card utilization score
For the most part, I maintain a zero balance on my credit cards at the end of each month, and Credit Karma shows that. However, I cannot get rid of the C on my scorecard. This seems to be keeping me from going from good credit, to great. How can I improve this?

The Letter grades here on CreditKarma  are useless,  they do not have anything to do with your credit score.    it is just a  creditkarma thing.

The letter grade is just a guide

maintaining a zero balance is considered average "C".

You get an "A" when creditors get to make money (Interest). So you want to show that creditors actually have a chance to make some money off of you.  To get an "A" you need to show 1 to 20% utilization.  yes that means carrying a balance.  

Its better to keep it as close to 1% of course, so to do that I pay all but a couple of bucks off every month.  e.g. if my Visa bill is $295.47 I'll pay $290.  The interest I might incure will be pennies, but it shows a balance utilization. 

Now the reality is that you don't have to do that all the time.   A "C", being average, is not always a bad thing.  You should know when you will be applying for new credit and bumping yourself up to an "A"  for a few of months is just good planning.