Question

Michele1000

I want to raise the credit limit on my card, but I just got it. How long do I have to wait?
The credit limit on the card I just received is lower than I was hoping. I want to raise the limit so it helps me more with my credit utilization. How long do you typically have to wait before the credit card company will consider an increasing it?

Most Helpful Response

Boost your credit limit chances.

Credit-card issuers will want to observe your spending and repayment habits before extending more credit to you. That said, six months is usually the minimum wait before your card issuer will consider reviewing your account for a credit-line increase (CLI). In the meantime, you should use your card reguarly and make your monthly payments on time -- to show that you've been handling your credit card responsibly.  When it does come time to ask for a CLI, you may have to give a reason why you want a higher credit limit. The card issuer may ask for updated information, such as income and housing status. Also, the issuer may pull your credit report, which can reduce your credit score -- retract the CLI request if you don't want any negative impact to your credit score.  If you need additional information, be sure to read our post on how to boost your chances of getting a credit limit increase.

6 months minimum