I have a secured card and want to get an unsecured card next, how long should I wait?

mlmchl

Most Helpful Response

Cap one never raises limits, orchard makes you wait 18 months, low credit lines try a credit union generally 12 mos.

I had an orchard while recovering from id theft, orchard refused to go unsecured after 9 months 200 limit , USAA gave me a 2500 limit on the spot unsecured.

Response by
nbirnbaum2

Actually, I call or go into the banking office where you have the secured card & ask them to unsecure it.  If they say no...get a card elsewhere.

If you don't mind my asking, do you have any credit card debt right now?  Are your reports pretty clean?  Are you using a secured card for now, simply because you have a thin file?

The very last thing I would do right now is blindly apply for cards simply because they are suggested by this site.  There are much more methodical ways to find a card you'll likely be approved for.

There are ways to find (one site I check every time I app) who got what card, with what limit, what report do they pull and what was their FICO when they were approved, or not.

Do some homework, otherwise, it's like a game of pin the tail on the donkey & you're likely to miss the mark by a mile.

Response by
BungalowMo

If in the high 500's to low 600's and you have a good debt to income ratio try Orchard Bank or Capital One.  Good Luck.

Response by
nandog

Submit to the Community