Question

xtrn

Discover credit card pfd
I owe $781 on my discover card that has been charged off. The utilization on my credit is really hurting me. I talked with discover and they said they won't except a payment even though they own it. I would have to go through the hired credid agency frs. Frs will take a payment but won't remove it. I was trying to get a pfd however frs said they won't sense they don't report on it. Should I throw in the towel and just pay it in full?

Most Helpful Response

BS reply from Discover

That is a BS reply from Discover.  You can always pay the direct creditor.  That is your right under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.  You need to send a cease and desist letter to the collection agency and advise them that you only settle debts with the direct creditor.

Then you send a check to Discover.  You can even do it in payments.  They cannot refuse to take it.  They may try to refuse to take payments over the telephone, but believe me they will cash your check. 

I have been digging myself out of a messy debt for the last 5 years and my wife has written about 10 of these letters.  The only time we failed was when we wrote a cc# on the bill instead of sending a paper check.  That party forwarded the cc# to the collection agency and it was processed without our knowledge.  Nothing we could do...lesson learned.  Always send a paper check to the direct creditor.

Dear Sir or Madam:

You are hearby notified under the provisions of Public Laws 95-109 and 99-361, also known as the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, that your services are no longer desired in this matter.

1.     You and your organization must CEASE & DESIST all attempts to collect the above debt.  Failure to comply with this law will result in my immediately filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and this state’s Attorney General’s office.  I will pursue all criminal and civil claims against your company.

2.     Let this letter also serve as your warning that I may utilize telephone recording devices in order to document any telephone conversations that we may have in the future.

3.     Furthermore, if any negative information is placed on my credit bureau reports by your agency after receipt of this notice, this will cause me to file suit against you and your organization, both personally and corporately, to seek any and all legal remedies available to me by law.

Since it is my policy neither to recognize nor deal with collection agencies, I intend to settle my account with the original creditor.

Sincerely,

Anyone have a little insight?

If you can afford to it may be the best idea. Just because the current collector doesn't report to the credit bureaus it doesn't mean that they won't start reporting in the future or they could sell the debt to another debt collector in the future that does report to credit bureaus. So by paying it, you would prevent any future collection accounts popping up on your reports for this debt. It would also bring the card balance to zero helping your utilization. It would also look better under manual review of your credit reports (but that doesn't happen too much any more, everything is usually done by computers).