Question

jkanglin

Debt consolidation help!
I want to get a personal loan 5-6k to pay off my credit card debt. My problem is that every time I apply for a loan and get denied due to having high credit card utilization. I can only afford to pay off little by little and my husband and I want to get a house soon. Is there a way to get a loan to pay off the credit cards faster or do I just have to chip away at it slowly? Am I going about this the wrong way?
Score:633

Well as you can see you do not have a lot of choice as you can not get a consolidation loan.  The more times you are denied the more it will drop scoring models and make it just that much harder.

There are two theories about paying off CC debt.  One is to pay off the highest interest rate one first, so everything else get minimum due and all extra to that card.  Then start on the next highest interest rate.  The second one is to take the lowest amount CC and pay all extra to that one, get it fully paid off while paying minimum to the rest.  Then go to the next lowest amount due and do the same.

The first method can actually be a bit more savings in money depending on factors, but the second one is much more of an esteem builder showing you can get rid of this debt.

Getting this CC to a resoble level will raise your score nicely and make getting a mortgage possible, but for now it seems you will need to chip away at that CC debt, and do not forget to be saving some for the downpayment on your future home.

I agree with the other answer, simply chip away. If you keep applying for loans you will keep harming your credit. In addition by adding a new loan you can ding your credit even further which will be pushing you in the wrong direction for the mortgage. Take the stress out of this and put the mortgage loan off for a year or two, you simply are not ready for this and won't be anytime in the near future. Try to get extra hours at work, pick up a second job, sell things that you don't need, downgrade what you can (ex. less expensive car, less expensive phone plan, etc). Set a strict budget to get your finances straightened out. It will take time, but you will be going in the right direction and with each step you should feel gratification. And as said, save up for a down payment and save up to have a kitty for typical homeowner expenses, such as insurance, repairs, etc.