Question

DesperateStudent

Closed Credit Card Account Status
My current CreditKarma credit profile shows that I have one account that has been delinquent on payments. However, I paid off the debt on this card in full about a year ago and yet it still indicates that my payment status is 75% but my balance is $0. I closed the account a couple years ago and I haven't been able to pay it off in full until last year. I am having trouble getting approved for other credit cards to improve my score. Any help on removing this record from my profile?

Most Helpful Response

What my wife did...

My wife used our credit report to write each item on my report a letter. (Snail mail)  In the letter she wrote something to the effect of:  I wish to pay off or make payment arrangements concerning this account. After the account has been paid in full, please report to all credit agencies that it has been paid in full. 

For the most part, the ones that were paid but showed the delinquent past history, sent a letter back letting us know they were going to remove their remarks altogether from our credit reports. To allow up to 90 days for this to show up. 

So far that is what they are doing. It might help. 

You cannot remove correct facts from your report. If they are correct then the history will be available for 7 years. Over time it becomes less and less relevant though, until a point 7 years after your final payment it will finally disappear.