Question

SaraSamir

Bad to close Un-used CreditCards that hasnt even been activated? At the same time opening another?
I opened 2 Sears cards. 1.Mastercard 2.Sears store card. I use Mastercard and hardly shop at Sears. I want to other another Card.
Is it a good idea to close the Sears store card(That HASNT BEEN ACTIVATED) yet before opening another?

Most Helpful Response

Bad to close it.

FICO goes by total of all open credit or available credit and divides that by what you've used. This is the  ratio that weighs HEAVILY on your credit score. If you have open accounts with no balance, it goes in your favor because it shows you're not using all of your credit cards. If there's no annual fee, don't chop up the card. You have to use the card at least once or twice per year (depending on bank) to keep it open. If you don't use it, the creditor may close it. Also, keep in mind that getting that card cost you a hard inquiry which will stay on your credit for two years. To justify that inquiry, keep the card open at least two years if you really want to do away with it.

I think you should keep it open. i also think you should have activated that card and use it atleast once. I believe having more open credit available works in your favor when applying for more.....but i could be wrong.

QVC card

I have QVC card that I have never used. Just got a letter saying that if I don't use it soon it will close. Should I just buy some thing to keep it opened? Or should I  just let it close?