Question

MrCursive

Any way to raise score after old cards removed?
I just checked my score as I do each month I get the notification and to my shock my score dropped by 180 points. I could not immediately diagnose the cause. After looking over everything I noticed 2 old cards, which I have not had for at least 5 years, were removed from my score. The hit dropped my average age of accounts down to 4y 8m. Is there anything I can do to raise my score other than let my current accounts age? I planned on buying a house in the next 2 years but now I just don't know. My score was not great but it was steadily improving but now it went from 653 to 473. So I went from almost there to never gonna happen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As you let those unused accounts go inactive and closed, there is little you can do other than asking those same firms if they would keep them open with the same original account information.   When you have credit cards, you need to use them to keep them activate.  Each credit card company has their own rules about what is considered inactive, although as a general rule of thumb, using them once a year could be sufficient.   There must be more on your report which needs attended to for a 473 score.   An average age of account would not cause your score to be that low in itself.  My average agent of accounts is 1 year and I'm well above your score.  30 years of cash only and being off the credit radar was not that helpful.

Let your current accounts age.  You want to buy the house in 2 years so your age will then be 6 years.  Do not open any more cards as they will shorten your credit age as well.  Ride it out, use your current cards wisely and your score will improve.