4.5
from Credit Karma members in the last year

Sep 17 2014
Instant approval for $4000

CK had my odds of getting this card as "fair." I decided to apply anyway. My scores are as follows: EQ 680 EX 692 TU 686 CK 686. I have a few blemishes on my credit report: ? Judgement-paid off in 2012 Car repo-2005 2 Collections-paid off in 2012 Inquiries-5 Defaulted student loans: all current as of 2012 ? I have the following active credit cards: ? Fingerhut: $1300 Capital One Platinum Secured Card: $750 Merrick Bank Secured Card: $200 Walmart Card: $800 ? I went to the AMEX website to apply. I was able to search for prequalification deals on the website. The page says the prequalification search will not impact my credit report. After the search, I received a message that no deals were found. The AMEX application was pretty simple and straightforward. After hitting the ?submit? button, I waited nervously to see if I?d be approved. This is the 1st ?upper crust? credit card I?ve ever applied for and given my credit blemishes I was expecting the dreaded ?we will send you a letter? response. To my surprise, I was instantly approved for $4000 after the 60 sec processing period! I hope this review helps others who don?t have perfect credit and are on the fence about applying for this card.

Jul 30 2017

Approved for 15K last year. Used in April 2017 for a $4K purchase. Amex dropped my credit limit instantly to 5K which boomeranged my credit score from 720 to 615 because of debt to ratio changed. Have 4 years of 100% paying on time.

Jan 12 2020
Denied - scores over 800

I applied for this card on my own, Credit Karma happens to be promoting it specifically to me in emails now too. But I was instantly denied. Their online system reported errors when I tried to follow the links to get the reason. But after days, I called their reconsideration line. The reason was "too many accounts opening and closing". I don't think I have that many, but they wouldn't offer any clarification about either what they consider "too many" or what time period they look at for that. So despite an outstanding credit report with no negative information anywhere, I'm locked out. And with the vagueness of their information, I have to assume I just can't apply for any Amex any more. They use Experian, which is very similar to my report at other agencies. I had: 0 inquiries in 2 years 2 credit cards opened in 2 years 2 cards closed in 2 years, including one of the opened ones The only Amex on my report was closed 3+ years earlier, after over 15 years. And I have no idea if 2 years is what they look at, or 10, or 20. At least Chase is pretty open about their 5/24 rule, but Amex seems to have a much stricter kind of rule and no disclosure of their requirements.

Jul 03 2019
Had this card for 4 Years, Love it!

This card is really great.? AMEX is good about increasing your credit limit if you are a responsible spender (never late on payments).? I used this card to really build my credit score.? 10/10 Reccommend, but be careful as AMEX is not always accepted everywhere.

May 22 2019
Very nice card

I like this card because of the amex benefits and points. They will also give 20% more points for the billing cycle if you use your card at least 20 times. They have also provided me generous credit which bumped my credit utilization down below 30%. The downside is you will have to wait a long time for your points to post, it is not available right away unlike my capital one credit card which reflects the cashback almost immediately. They also have introductory 0% APR for 15 months for when I applied, I do not know if that has changed. Overall, a great card.

Mar 30 2019
DO NOT APPLY!!!

CK scores TU 807 EQ 801 FICO 820, credit card utilization at 4%. I got approved for $1,000.?

Mar 21 2019
So Far, So Good.. I Guess?

Before I applied for this card I used this website and others to kind of figure out my approval odds. I thought since I got approved, I would share my experience and actually contribute to the forum, since it helped me. Review: I saw a lot of people on here mentioning that they had high credit scores but got low CLs like $1,000. I was concerned about this befofe applying but applied anyway. Fortunately, I got a decent $9,400CL. If you are interested in this card but worried you will get a low, starter CL, there is a possibility they might give you decent, high one. My assumption is it probably all depends on how many other cards you have open and how high those CLs are. [I have other cards open with decent limits like this so maybe they took that into consideration.] Their customer service is.... okay.. || I wanted to expedite the card and also get the card number; which is usually available after successful amex applications online. Unfortunately for me, after getting approved I was filling out information and the page timed out on me so it never reached the screen to give me the card number. [Note for persons applying online: If you intend on retrieving the card number after doing your application, do not spend time to fill out authorized users and/ or balance transfer information; skip those steps. After 3 minutes the page will timeout thus not even allowing you to get to the screen of retrieving your card information so you can begin making purchases online. You can always log into the account afterwards to add authorized users and other information.] || Called in to request for this information and they could not provide me with the card number nor assist in expediting the card. I have been able to get cards expedited upon request with other FI namely Chase, Discover and Capital One. So aside from not being able to assist in my request, I find their hold times annoying.. I'm never on hold with Chase, Discover or Capital One for very long... before even receiving the card I have had to make multiple calls to their cust. service and loathe it each time. Outside of the unnecessary wait times like I am calling a government institution, their employees are polite and friendly. Extremely polite and they have made me feel like a valued customer each time. This is my 1st Amex card and I opened the account last week Friday so I can't really talk on the membership rewards program yet, but I'll update as time goes by if I think it is more than or just as valuable as Chase's UR. Credit Scores: TU-752 EQ-746 EX-743 Credit Limit: $9,400 Bonus Offer: 25K MR points on $2k spend in 3 months, 0% APR for 15 months for purchases and balance transfers; balance transfer limit is $5k however.

Mar 19 2019
Loyalty don???t mean jack

4 years no late payment and no miss payment. But all I got was a reduction in y credit line which hurts my credit score, from 20,000 to 1000 credit limit. They don?t care about those thing all they care if the score on Experian. I went thought fraud and my score went down, but am fixing it right now but those guys from Amex just like to kick you when ur down even though you didn?t miss any payment. Everything is good until you have trouble. If this is the kind of card to like please apply for it and good luck?

Jan 30 2019
Cheap

Just applied because I needed to make a balance transfer. I have excellent credit and have never missed a payment and they gave me a credit limit of 2000 and would only let me? transfer 1500. Don't waste your time. Choose another card.

Jan 15 2019
Good Rewards.

I have the card... great "start up card" ... i upgraded to the Everyday Preffered card... added a family member the card... we'll see what happens.? ?you gain points fast... love the app... and the customer service.??

Jan 13 2019
AWESOME!!

I love this card! Awesome rewards, cash back or points at your favorite places. I recieved a credit limit increase after about 10 months of having the card (even with a high balance)! I love that there is a mobile app to easily make payments and monitor your use. you can also add an alternate person to you account so they can get some of the same benefits, though its still counted on your credit and theirs if they are above 18 (That was a shocker at first, but makes sense now). With the "Plan It" option on purchases $100 or more you just pay a small fee a month to avoid gaining interest on the transaction! I really have nothing negative to say about this card at all, its just awesome.

Jan 11 2019

I have applied for this card 3 times and keep getting denied. My credit is the same as my husband with all accounts in good standing. He was approved on the spot for 5000 and our credit is the exact same. Not sure where they are finding a discrepancy. I take care of all the household credit yet cannot get approved with good credit... Frustrated