4.3
2032 Reviews

Jun 08, 2017
Things To Consider Before Applying

This is an update from my prior review back in March 2017. I hope this review would help those that are considering applying for the Amex BCE. Now while this is one of the hardest cards to get an approval, note that, once you get approved for it, it is packed with great rewards and bonuses that will save you more money in the long term. When I orignally gotten an approval for the card, my CK credit scores were at 662, but my FICO score at the tme of application was at 742. So for those thinking about applying, please remember to check the following first so you do not waste a hard inquiry. - Length of credit history 6 mos and longer ( if any of you have a high credit score from CK but if the length of your credit history is less than 6 mos old. you would need to wait and age your account until your reach 6 mos. and more) - AMEX likes thin files with no missed payments (during the time of application) - No Baddies or deregatories on your file - Is your FICO score specifically with Experian at least within 690's and over, since AMEX tends to pull the reports from them "MAJORITY" of the time. I say 690 is the absolute guarantee of an approval with the best sign up bonuses and interests. Anything less than that, then you are looking at a lower SL and no sign up bonuses. I hope this breakdown would help some of you, I am sharing this because I have went through it, applied, got denied, without realizing that I needed to age my accounts for 6 mos. and longer to have an actual FICO score, but I did not wait and I wasted an inquiry. I suggest using your approval odds as your motivation, but check for those factors before you apply to ensure success in getting an approval. My current FICO score from Experian is 721 and I am gardening to get that back up again to where I used to be or higher. But overall, my experience with American Express has been amazing. Their sign up bonuse of getting $100 back if you spend $1000 in the first quarter of your membership saved me a $100 on a new TV that I bought. I also get %10 cashback when I use it for dining at restaurants, and more cashback bonuses when being used wisely. I am very happy and content with the AMEX BCE and back in April they reconsidered by original application for the AMEX Green card and approved me for it as well. So if you applied and did not get an instant approval. Call the reconsideration line and you might get suprised. I hope this thread helps.

Nov 03, 2020
Deceptive practices

BEWARE!!! The process for getting the card was easy and instant approval. I used the card as normal through the promotional period and paid it IN FULL before the promotional period was over. I continued to use the card as normal, making sure I kept my purchases total under 20%, I try to stay between 10-20% of my credit limit. While out doing daily errands, I needed some cash and I used my card to get it. I have notifications set to where I am emailed and texted with changes to my account. Within 20 minutes I received notification of a "change to your credit limit". As soon as I returned home, I logged in to see what the changes were. For making a "cash withdraw" AE dropped my credit limit by 86%!!! Yes 86%!!! In turn, that caused my credit score to plummet by 150+ points and caused my credit utilization to shoot to over 95% used. I paid the card off immediately and have not used it since. That was almost 2 years ago and they STILL refuse to raise my credit limit.

All member reviews (2032)

Oct 09, 2021
Beautiful, and Excellent! Great Card.!!!

I love this card! I wish I'd gotten it sooner! But I'm greatful I've got it now!

Oct 08, 2021
Best good card!

I have this card credit karma said I have a poor chance I went to AmEx and gave me a chance and was approved

Sep 19, 2021
Great credit limit!

I have a 765 credit score. Instant approval for $8500!

Sep 18, 2021
I love the color.

I got approve in July 2021 cl of 2000 I have not used the card yet. From the reviews that I’ve read so for makes me wonder should I make a big purchase I figure to stay under 200 to be safe and pay it in full within the 30 days.

Sep 14, 2021
BEWARE OF THIS

I had this card for about 3-4 years and while the first 12 months were good things got tricky after that. If you don't make payments in FULL then they hit you with all kinds of fees, your APR rate starts out at 24% so good luck ever trying to get it down. I had fraud one time with this card and it took them FOREVER to help. I had to find all the info myself and then prove that it wasn't me, to then only wait an additional month while it was being investigated. At that time in order to avoid a fee I had to pay the full balance for a charge I didn't do to then get it back a month later. Process it ridiculous and the fees are upsetting!

Sep 13, 2021
Good

Good

Sep 12, 2021
Approved in 30 seconds… 726 CK score

I was nervous about getting approved. I’ve been repairing my credit mostly by getting my utilization down and paying on time the last 2-3 years. CK says I have a 726 credit score, but I also have a fairly large amount of student loans that defaulted and I am paying back. This usually prevents me from getting credit approved in most instances. Applied for this card tonight and was shocked that I was approved in 30 seconds with a $6,000 credit limit. My goal for this was really to expand my overall available credit and not necessarily to land a bunch of benefits, so I am very happy. Nice that there is no annual fee and a 15 month introductory 0% APR. Given the Amazon bonus (20% cash back on purchases up to $150 for the first 6 months), I will likely use this as my primary card for Amazon purchases and pay it off each month. Thanks, CK for making the recommendation.

Sep 12, 2021
First Amex card !

Worked a discover it secured for 8 months and then was able to get this. I like the card ok! Remember this is like an entry level Amex to build a relationship. It’s not a GREAT card but remember what it’s here for, the preferred is much better but you have to work up to that point I suppose.

Sep 08, 2021
Started my wife out at 23.99%

I helped my wife fill out the application for this card because she is new to the credit card arena. She has a short credit history but it’s a positive history with no negative actions of any kind. The rate on this card starts from 13.99 up to 23.99. When it showed that she was approved for the card we were happy. That was until we receive the card in the mail and it showed what her beginning interest-rate would be which was beginning at 23.99%. I am so angry that American Express would treat a new customer with that high of an interest-rate just to protect themselves. How do you pony someone right off the bat with good credit history even though it’s a short history by nailing them with a 23.99% interest for starters??? I have no intention of even trying to call customer service to try to get this interest-rate down because I know they won’t listen. American Express has left a really nasty taste in my mouth after this little fiasco.

Aug 29, 2021
APPROVED!!

I applied Friday I was approved Experian was my go to site credit usage 1% no more then 3 inquiries which those three were 2 years old and no resent inquiries payments 100% on time no new debit oldest account 7 years old credit score on Experian is 671 that’s who AMERICAN Express uses to check your credit. And I also used AMX PRE APPROVAL WEB SITE to see if In fact That I was per approved and I was I’m waiting for my card now as I’m typing this I hope this helps.

1-10 of 2032