4.3
2068 Reviews

Jun 08, 2017
Things To Consider Before Applying

This is an update from my prior review back in March 2017. I hope this review would help those that are considering applying for the Amex BCE. Now while this is one of the hardest cards to get an approval, note that, once you get approved for it, it is packed with great rewards and bonuses that will save you more money in the long term. When I orignally gotten an approval for the card, my CK credit scores were at 662, but my FICO score at the tme of application was at 742. So for those thinking about applying, please remember to check the following first so you do not waste a hard inquiry. - Length of credit history 6 mos and longer ( if any of you have a high credit score from CK but if the length of your credit history is less than 6 mos old. you would need to wait and age your account until your reach 6 mos. and more) - AMEX likes thin files with no missed payments (during the time of application) - No Baddies or deregatories on your file - Is your FICO score specifically with Experian at least within 690's and over, since AMEX tends to pull the reports from them "MAJORITY" of the time. I say 690 is the absolute guarantee of an approval with the best sign up bonuses and interests. Anything less than that, then you are looking at a lower SL and no sign up bonuses. I hope this breakdown would help some of you, I am sharing this because I have went through it, applied, got denied, without realizing that I needed to age my accounts for 6 mos. and longer to have an actual FICO score, but I did not wait and I wasted an inquiry. I suggest using your approval odds as your motivation, but check for those factors before you apply to ensure success in getting an approval. My current FICO score from Experian is 721 and I am gardening to get that back up again to where I used to be or higher. But overall, my experience with American Express has been amazing. Their sign up bonuse of getting $100 back if you spend $1000 in the first quarter of your membership saved me a $100 on a new TV that I bought. I also get %10 cashback when I use it for dining at restaurants, and more cashback bonuses when being used wisely. I am very happy and content with the AMEX BCE and back in April they reconsidered by original application for the AMEX Green card and approved me for it as well. So if you applied and did not get an instant approval. Call the reconsideration line and you might get suprised. I hope this thread helps.

Nov 03, 2020
Deceptive practices

BEWARE!!! The process for getting the card was easy and instant approval. I used the card as normal through the promotional period and paid it IN FULL before the promotional period was over. I continued to use the card as normal, making sure I kept my purchases total under 20%, I try to stay between 10-20% of my credit limit. While out doing daily errands, I needed some cash and I used my card to get it. I have notifications set to where I am emailed and texted with changes to my account. Within 20 minutes I received notification of a "change to your credit limit". As soon as I returned home, I logged in to see what the changes were. For making a "cash withdraw" AE dropped my credit limit by 86%!!! Yes 86%!!! In turn, that caused my credit score to plummet by 150+ points and caused my credit utilization to shoot to over 95% used. I paid the card off immediately and have not used it since. That was almost 2 years ago and they STILL refuse to raise my credit limit.

All member reviews (2068)

Great simple credit card

I wanted to open an account with AMEX because of the high rewards for Gas and groceries, which are purchases I have to make anyway. I’m happy to say that the rewards accumulated and I was easily able to receive my credit for them as well as the sign on bonus after meeting my spending limit. Sadly the 3% cash back does not apply to wholesale food stores like WALMART where I shop the most for groceries. Overall I am a very satisfied customer with AMEX and this is a fantastic card if you are looking for something simple and to the point without having to worry about annual fees. It’s a great everyday card for things you need to purchase regardless.

Amex

Got this card with a 803 credit score. No baddies. And decent income. I did pre approval through Amex and it told me which cards I could get. I decided on this as an “everyday” card. Tried pre approval for Amex gold and qualified that one as well. It will be my next one once I complete bonus offer for this one.

The Best Card

Credit limit is high

Jun 12, 2022
With no impact so score but hard inquiry

It was stated that apply with no impact to your score but i had an hard inquiry on my credit. That is dum. I can believe Amex cheating on people. Moreover, they said will contact you days later. I didn’t want to apply just went curious if I’m approved or not

Jun 12, 2022
Denied!

With a score of 730, high income, low debt and no delinquencies, how can you be denied? Amex does!

Jun 09, 2022
Bonus credit reversed 6 months later!!!

I got a bonus credit reversal charge of $200 on my card like 6 months after getting the bonus. Don't go with this company, they are obviously cheap skates.. What a worthless company. I have never had a bonus reversed ever...

Jun 05, 2022
Quick approval

Approval took about an hour. Credit Karma said the chances were outstanding. Credit score ~730s, income ~$50k; was approved for 20% of income. Will update review after receiving card and after using.

May 28, 2022
well im still waiting for it to come

was approved with fair approval odds they ran Experian and trans

May 22, 2022
Waste hard inquiry

Applied with outstanding offer and guess what got denied. Don’t apply unless you are pre qualify from Amex trusting CK it’s not gonna do any good.

Apr 29, 2022
Impossible to get!

Looks like a good card but I have applied three separate times over the course of the past three years and each time I have gotten denied despite having a 750+ credit score. Don't trust the "outstanding" approval odds. Not worth the inquiry

1-10 of 2068