3.8
1990 Reviews

Jun 08 2017
Things To Consider Before Applying

This is an update from my prior review back in March 2017. I hope this review would help those that are considering applying for the Amex BCE. Now while this is one of the hardest cards to get an approval, note that, once you get approved for it, it is packed with great rewards and bonuses that will save you more money in the long term. When I orignally gotten an approval for the card, my CK credit scores were at 662, but my FICO score at the tme of application was at 742. So for those thinking about applying, please remember to check the following first so you do not waste a hard inquiry. - Length of credit history 6 mos and longer ( if any of you have a high credit score from CK but if the length of your credit history is less than 6 mos old. you would need to wait and age your account until your reach 6 mos. and more) - AMEX likes thin files with no missed payments (during the time of application) - No Baddies or deregatories on your file - Is your FICO score specifically with Experian at least within 690's and over, since AMEX tends to pull the reports from them "MAJORITY" of the time. I say 690 is the absolute guarantee of an approval with the best sign up bonuses and interests. Anything less than that, then you are looking at a lower SL and no sign up bonuses. I hope this breakdown would help some of you, I am sharing this because I have went through it, applied, got denied, without realizing that I needed to age my accounts for 6 mos. and longer to have an actual FICO score, but I did not wait and I wasted an inquiry. I suggest using your approval odds as your motivation, but check for those factors before you apply to ensure success in getting an approval. My current FICO score from Experian is 721 and I am gardening to get that back up again to where I used to be or higher. But overall, my experience with American Express has been amazing. Their sign up bonuse of getting $100 back if you spend $1000 in the first quarter of your membership saved me a $100 on a new TV that I bought. I also get %10 cashback when I use it for dining at restaurants, and more cashback bonuses when being used wisely. I am very happy and content with the AMEX BCE and back in April they reconsidered by original application for the AMEX Green card and approved me for it as well. So if you applied and did not get an instant approval. Call the reconsideration line and you might get suprised. I hope this thread helps.

Mar 29 2018
RATE HIKE FOR NO REASON

I own the card, and am an AMEX member for over 10 years. They took my rate from 14% to 18%, event hough I am using less than 1/3 of the card, and have NEVER been late. Called twice, wrote once. They offered to cancel my card, but would not budge. Said they were "Competetive witht he market."

Sep 16 2020
My First AmEx

Easy application and approval process. Good online interface. Cash back posts a month after spend.

Sep 12 2020
Blacklist

I don't understand why credit Karma is lying! it tells me I am a pre-approved for amex, and when i check on amex site, it tells me that i am not pre-approved! i am backlisted due to my Bk 8 years a go and still blacklisted!

Sep 07 2020
Great card but don't ask for credit increase

Love American Express. I have had the card for several years they deny me any increases even thought I have never been late.

Sep 05 2020
Easy

I have had the card for 2 years now. When I applied my TU was Mid 600's and my EQ was low 600's. It was an easy and simple process. I've never asked for a credit increase due to my limit being just right for me. I do love the fact i can use my rewards directly Amazon with my card linked. Anytime Ive had a question Amex has been happy to help and resolve the issue.

Aug 21 2020
Fast Approval

Don't necessarily believe CK take on approval odds. They ranked me poor as being approved and not only was I approved with a 679 FICO 8 and CK 717, I got a nice limit too.

Aug 18 2020
I Love it

I don’t carry a balance so I don’t pay interest because I pay off every month Cause interest rate is hight but there customer service is great

Aug 09 2020
Changed billing algorithm three months in.

I applied for this card through Credit Karma so I could transfer part of a debt to it, to pay down at a reduced rate, while paying off the larger portion of my debt elsewhere. Three months in they changed their algorithm for calculating the minimum monthly payment due, doubling how much I'd have to pay per month. This, in turn, would reduce how much I'm putting toward paying down my main balance elsewhere. I feel let down and disappointed in this change, which forces me to either change how I sort out my billing, or transfer the balance again. To be fair, this card may be good for the other aspects advertised, I don't know because I got it for a specific reason, the application process was easy enough, and customer service was quick to pick up and explain the situation, and express sympathy with their inability to fix the issue for me. But I would have gone with a different option if I'd known this change was coming ahead of time.

Jul 27 2020
Great for Car Rentals

After Costco migrated away from AmEx, I obtained a Blue Cash card. I love it. I used it to obtain AmEx Premium Car Rental insurance which is a great program for those that do foreign (or domestic) travel and want greater piece of mind for loss/damage insurance that actually covers the card more than typical credit cards, and is less expensive than Car Rental company policies. Customer support is great-- they've been helpful when I have had questions.

Jul 02 2020
I like it.

Not sure why people have so many bad reviews. I really like the card. I’ve had for over a year. Use on gas and grocery’s, pay my card immediately I just use the card to get my points. Customer service has been amazing when I’ve called. Only issue I have with the card is the limited laces Amex is accepted, but I’ve pretty much gotten used to what places I go to accept it and what places don’t. Other than that, great every day card. Thanks AMEX. Happy customer so far.

Jun 26 2020
Great Card

This is a Great card if you want to get into the world of American Express. I would say that you need a good long history before applying for any amex card.

1-10 of 1990