Question

DaveJHM

AMEX card -- approval likelihood
I have a very high debt to credit ratio (prob 80-90%), but have no derogatory remarks (other than a short sale 3 years ago) in my credit; TU shows a 685 through CK. I am hopeful to get an AMEX card for multiple reasons -- but I don't want to waste an inquiry if my chances are slim.

My income has almost doubled in the last year, which I hope will help. I do plan on balance transfer to help pay things down.

My main question: Does AMEX (and Chase with the Freedom card) use Transunion for determining credit worthiness? I don't have info on my Equifax or Experian; I am fairly confident in my 685 with TU but am afraid that the others may be lower and therefore reflect negatively on my chances to be approved with the AMEX or even the Chase card -- thoughts? Thank you!

I have a 703 score, no negatives, low utilization, steady income and I'm still turned down for AMEX.

Unfortunately the score alone is never the determining factor. It also depends on your length of credit history. Most of the time it is hard to know if you get approved before hand unless you have 10+ years of credit history and a 800+ credit score.

I'm not sure why you would apply for an AMEX since they have annual fees and require you to pay the amount in full each month. 

If you want to do debt consolidation it could be that the new lender will require you to close some old cards once they pay them off. If you do a balance transfer to a new credit card, don't forget there is usually a balance transfer fee of 3%.

Having an additional inquiry on your credit report is not really that big of a deal unless you plan to buy a house or car within the next two years.

I have a friend who has 16 inquiries on his report and he still had no issue buying a house

Floridabiker77

I just applied for both and was approved.  I think they do use Trans.  I have 1 old past due (6yrs) and my utlization on here is 27%.  It is lower but some cc's have not reported yet.  I have a longer credit history & many other cards along with a mtg, auto lease & moto loan.  I think they want your utilization down & score up a bit?   Just making sure you can manage debt.  I started with small CL's and just kept charging and finally paid them in full becasue my score has jumped up & I would rather have the "great" cards.  It's a combination of all of the above.  Good luck.