Question

misterskittles

Is it possible to acquire a low(ish) interest auto loan with a 609 credit score?
As of this posting I still owe around $2,500 on my car that i have had for a couple years now. With the payments i am making at the moment($280/mo) i will have it paid off at the beginning of next year. However my family is growing and i need to upgrade to a larger vehicle, I was planning on trying to invest in a new SUV. As stated in the title I only have a 609 score and am looking for some advice on going about acquiring a low interest auto loan before i go into the dealership not knowing what I am doing. I understand that i will have to ask the dealership to pay off my current loan to get a new one on the new vehicle. I spoke to my current finance institution, and they told me to go to a dealership and ask them to apply through them for me. Would it be smarter to go to a bank or credit union and see if they would quote me on a loan first? Thank you in advance.