Question

NSMO240

Is it legal for someone to perform a hard inquiry if no verbal or written consent was given?
went in to speak briefly with a mortgage consultant a little less than a week ago about how good my credit looked for purchasing a home in the near future, i told him the different FICO scores I already knew and told him i wasnt sure i would qualify for much since i had student loans and a couple other loans i needed to pay down first.

he assured me that he has seen plenty of people with student loans get a house in the range they were looking for. I grudgingly gave him my info, including my social but never said it would be ok for him to pull my credit, he never gave me any paper work, just wrote it down on a notepad, said he would look into things a bit further and tell me what he thought, and sent me on my way.

now to further my question, if this is now legal how do i dispute it and is there any type of legal action i can take towards this person to prevent him from doing this again in the future to someone else?