Question

bevinwhite

Auto dealership ran my credit for a car without my approval
I went to a big car dealership to shop for a used car. While I described to the salesman the type of vehicle I was looking for within my price range, he searched his data to find any matches. He later said that he found one that matches my description and that he was going to pull it around. While he was "pulling it around," he also ran my credit report to get approved for this car. I had no idea what kind of car it was, how much it was or if I was going to like it. He gave me no information! Turns out, I wasn't at all interested. Now they are showing up on my credit report. Had he shown me the car at first, I would have left. He didn't tell me he was running my credit for the car. Was he allowed to do this?

NOthing is ever completely free

All he needed was your name and the city you live in.  I've heard of someone having as many as 18 inquiries in 1 day of visiting various dealers.  

I just went to a dealer Myself and not only did the dealer run a report on me, but so did a credit union in Oregon, the dealer submited my name to a list of lenders that they like to use.    I had prequalified with my own credit union before entering the dealer. I knew what I wanted to buy and how much I wanted to spend and what my interest rate and monthly payment would be.  Turned out to be the best deal anyway. 

So you are not alone in this.  Now, As a general rule, the credit bureaus understand that "Credit Shopping" happens when your looking for a new car. In most cases the inquiries the did not result in a loan will come off your report after a month or two.  If they don't or If you want to get them off sooner, Write a letter, (I Never do on-line disputes, they limit your remedies in these matters, But you could try that too.)  State what happened in your own handwriting.  Never type letters to a credit bureau. They have computers that will scan your letter and toss it out as a "frivolus request". Handwriting forces a human to read it and by law they have to answer your letter.  

Hope that helps.   

Well did they have you fill out an application?  Without your consent they can't run your credit.  The good news is that several hard pulls around the same time searching for a auto loan is suppose to be counted as one pull.