Question

Jfishman2012

Authorized User Advice
Hello, I'm hoping to get some advice on my situation as to what the best course of action is.

My mom got a CC at Home Depot, and shortly after we figured it would be good to add me to the account so I could get things without her having to go. So she did, and a few months later when looking at my credit report I noticed the Home Depot account was on mine, and I was an authorized user. Didn't really think much of it....

Now for the past few months my mom has been having trouble paying all her cards, and missing payments. I have been making the payments to Home Depot the past few months, out of fear of messing up my credit if I don't.

So am I pretty much now on the hook for the whole balance if I don't want my credit messed up? She doesn't care about her credit at this point?

If I remove myself from the card, how much and for how long will my credit take a hit?

Should I work on paying it all down and then remove myself from the credit?

I'm just trying to find out the best way to handle this and the pros and cons of everything.

Thank you!

Most Helpful Response

What Would I Do?

Well  like you I would be making the payments so there are no black ( Late payments ) marks on my Credit Report.

Do sit down and talk to your mom and find out what the issue is.   ( nobody should be buying anything with a credit card unless they have the cash to pay the card off right there )

Do remove yourself from the Credit Card as an authorize user and see if they quite reporting to your credit report  if they don't then make sure that CC gets paid off and Closed out once paid in full.

This is Why you never want to be an authorized user on anyone elses card but your spouse.  With a Spouse you will have a much closer control on the purchases and payments.   With someone else roll the dice and wish for the best. ( in this case not good )

Jfishman2012

Thank you for the advice, it seems pretty sound to me. I will get myself removed (I want it done at some point anyway). I'll probably end up just paying down over some time, to play it safe.

So she has other credit cards, some with the same creditor (pretty sure Citibank) and if she doesn't pay the other ones that won't affect Home Depot right? As long as Home Depot gets paid, that account will be in good standing? I know they might lower the credit line of it, but it won't get any bad remarks right?

You're right, I learnd my lesson about authorized users. Don't go on anybody's card! The only person you have control over is yourself.