Question

Turtlehappy4

Why does my Equifax score on CK and the # a Creditor saw on my report differ by 100+ points?!
My CK Equifax score shows 596, but when I applied for an auto loan, the potential Creditor denied me, stating that my score was around a 470..
I am very upset because I have been utilizing Credit Karma over the past few months, paying outstanding debts on time, etc.. I felt blind-sided.. Why are the scores SO dramatically different?

Most Helpful Response

1) CK uses the Vantage 3.0 scoring model, whereas most folks use FICO. The Vantage model is (usually) good enough to show improvements (or detriments) over time.
--

2) CK contacts two of the three bureaus - Equifax and Transunion. The third bureau, Experian, doesn't share with anyone, and demands that you pay them a monthly fee to see their stuff. Experian may have your score so low that it dragged down the average, so you may want to get a copy of their report on you (just don;t get suckered into their introductory offer thingy and end up paying a $30/mo fee...)

I had similar experiance, after showing my report score to the finance officer, he advised that what CK had was my credit score in general and would be used for things like home loans but for car loans they calculate the score differently and much lower than any Equifax.

lower scores with other bereaus

Your score may show as a 470 because all 3 scores will be combined to one, for example, score so if you have a 600 with transunion a 500 with equifax and a 450 with experian all there scores will be used to create an overall score for you. the two lower scores will definitely bring the 600 score down. This happens because there could be something wrong on your credit report that made the other scores lower. I hope this helps!

You apparently haven't read the articles here to learn how credit works, which is the purpose of Credit Karma.  And you have been a member for 5 years!!  Credit Karma is not a credit bureau as you will learn and your question has been asked dozens of times before so you can find the answer if you look for it.