What is the Best Way to Improve Credit With No Open Accounts?
I got several credit cards during the holiday season back in 2011. I kept up with paying them for a few months but then bills started piling up for college and I have not been able to make many payments to my credit cards since then. All of the accounts have closed and I have recently paid off 2 of the 6 total. I have 4 remaining accounts which I intend to pay off in full. However, I am not sure what the best way to improve my credit will be as it seems the traditional advice cannot apply to me: "keep a utilization rate of below 20%" I cannot do without an open account. "Keep old credit lines open" etc. What can I do to improve my credit score? Should I pay off my cards in full?
I am trying to move into an apartment by January, if my credit score is 555 now, how many can it be improved and how?