Smartest way to being rebuilding credit/paying off loans?
I find myself in a poor situation with bad credit. It seems many institutions these days require stellar credit, I would like to fit in there with the people that have great credit; I just simply don't know where to start. Are the credit solution programs helpful? The places that take all of your loans and give you a manageable payment each month towards everything, are these worth it, I hear these places can damage credit even more, although, I don't believe mine can be damaged more then where I currently sit. I have been thinking about trying for a secured credit card for basic purchases every month, like gas for my car, simple purchases where I know I can make payment. My credit really was damaged when I was younger and I just turned a blind eye, now that I have found a special girl in my life, I hear many people base their relationship on credit scores. I was told that certain accounts might not be bad to just let them run their course and fall off of my credit, I just don't know. Like many Americans, I would love to buy a house in the future and purchase a newer car without a huge interest rate because of my score. Thanks for any and all help.

Hello there and nice to meet you

The first thing is not to panic and know that you can climb out of a bad credit score. The thing to remember is when you are in a hole, stop digging. Also if you don't mind what is your score right now? Get a secured card which is easy to be approved for (Capital One or Open Sky). Also I would pull all three of your credit reports if you haven't done so already. Then look at the open collections firstly and see which accounts that don't belong to you and dispute them. Also with accounts that are yours you can still dispute and get lucky. If you cannot successfully dispute an item then look at when the item will fall off (listed on your credit report). If it falls off in a year or less I would let it sit there and fall off on its own. Otherwise contact the collection agencies and make a pay for delete deal where they will delete the item with payment ( get the agreement in writing before paying anything). I had 10 collections and 6 went off by way of dispute (some mine and some not). I am disputing the last four and waiting now. Do not use a credit repair company since they can only do the same thing you can do (dispute) and there are never any guarantees they can do anything for you. The only guarantee is your money in their pocket so don't do this. Pull your credit reports first and start from there. Good luck...