Question

Fedupwithdebt

Rehabilitating Federal Student Loans?
I currently have four federal student loans in default, totalling less than $7500. The lowest is about $260, the highest about $3300. I am planning to start rehabilitating all of them within the next 6 months or so.
Due to the Dept. of Ed's INSANE policy with their 15% of AGI formula, I am planning on using the income-based rehab plan. After my husband went through cancer treatment this year, we have thousands$$$ in medical bills to pay (thanks to high ins deductible, and some denied claims). He will also be incurring thousands$$$ more each year for the next five years. Does anyone know if the Dept of Ed will take these medical bills into account when calculating the payments? Their form wants you to provide proof of what you pay each month, not what you currently owe, and certainly not what you WILL owe during the rehab period!!!
Another thing, these loans still appear as 4 separate loans on NSLDS website, but are showing as only 2 loans on Dept of Ed website. Does this mean I only have to rehab 2 loans now instead of 4 (total owed is the same on both sites)? Does anyone have a similar situation? Please, please, please share your experiences and advice!!! Does anyone else think the federal student loan system is akin to dealing with loansharks, or is it just me???