Question

ToastMmHot

Raising my young score from 568 with a few mishaps?
My score is 568. I only have one account of credit open (my student loans) and I have a medical bill of $6,700 in collections. I made a few late payments on my student loans, but I just had them consolidated a few months ago and have been making on-time payments for 4 months now. My score has been slowly improving but I am wondering if there is anything else I can do...

I read that paying off your collections doesn't even effectively help (though I'm trying to apply for help with the hospital right now). Can I get a secured credit card? I want to build/fix my credit but how can I get additional accounts of credit with the situation I am in?

Any suggestions highly appreciated!