Question

Cchapman711

Question about settling a medical collection account...or two.
I had two medical bills slip through the cracks on me, both with the same collection agency, one dates back to a year and the other dates back about three years. Both of which I thought were being taken care of by the insurance company, but I was wrong.

To my surprise they on my credit report when I signed up for the credit karma service recently and also on another credit monitoring site as well. I never used to check my report and didn't even know they were on there.

I am certainly willing to pay these off and intend to if that is what is beneficial for me. Is it the best thing to do at this time? I am trying to buy a home right now. We are right on the cusp of being approved at 650 scores right now.

I called the collection company yesterday to see if they would do a "pay for delete" if I offered to pay them off in full. They said they could not guarantee that they would be removed but that they would certainly update them with the credit reporting agencies that they were paid. The woman also told me that we could send over the letter stating that is what I am requesting and that it could be sent to her supervisor and they might consider doing it. She pressed me to make a payment on the spot but I wasn't quite sure that was what I wanted to do until I knew for sure that they intend to tell the three credit reporting companies to remove these collections showing on my account.

What is the best thing to do? Should I pay them in full? Should I negotiate to pay a portion of them to have them removed? How do I do that? What are the best steps to take here?

Because I called the collection company yesterday and spoke with them about these accounts they were brought back to the top of my report and are now listing this morning as being on there with yesterdays date instead of the date from a year ago and the date from three years ago. Will this now drop my score again?

I was sent a text message this morning saying that a potential negative remark was listed on my report yesterday and it could have negative effects on my credit score.

I feel like I can never get this under control. My head is spinning with all of this stuff. I feel like we will never be able to buy our first home.

Most Helpful Response

Derogs tend to have a major negative impact.  Work on negotiating a pay for delete to have the collections removed but CAREFULLY RESEARCH first.