Question

irishrose86

My score keeps dropping and I'm getting depressed. What else do I have to do???
I have tried everything to raise my credit score. It was horrible because of A) student loans and B) collections accounts. I've actually finished paying off every cent from collections (even though it's not showing just yet), and on top of that I opened a Open Sky credit card to help build credit! I only use 30% or less of my limit, and I've paid on time, even keeping a small balance to show I can keep a balance from month to month. Why does my score keep dropping??! I can't live the rest of my life like this, being a slave to my credit score when I'm doing literally everything I can do to raise it, just to see it drop on this stupid website.

Also, I don't have money to throw around every time I want to get my official score from a credit bureau. How can I check my score and raise it without wasting $20 every time I want to check on my score? I'm getting very depressed because I never seem to make any progress no matter what I do.

Things take time, so please be patient. During credit building or rebuilding it is normal for scores to bounce around or drop. When paying old accounts, the accounts will update and look fresh to the scoring systems and even though you pay them off, it will cause a decrease in scores because of the update. If you have been dealing with many old accounts, you are likely getting dinged from many updates from old negative accounts. In addition, when opening new accounts it can also cause a drop in scores. This is normal and happens to most people in the rebuilding process. Unfortunately to get FICO scores, you do need to pay for them unless you can find a credit card that provides them for free. During the rebuilding process is it usually worth the money to pay for FICO scores to keep track of how actions are affecting your scores and then you can adjust your path according to the outcomes of your actions. Don't let yourself become depressed over credit scores, it is really not that big of a deal, with some time and more work you can overcome your credit issues. Many people with serious illnesses that they cannot overcome would love to trade places with someone that is experiencing a temporary problem such as credit issues. The problem you are facing is only temporary and although it will take a little time, with some work and determination you can have excellent credit in the future. You will be alright, just keep reading and learning more about credit and keep working on your goal.