Question

soggydoggy

How did my points drop by 100 when I pay my bills on time and I have no debt?

Most Helpful Response

Agreed. My grandfather, who I would consider is wealthy in the sense he has stocks, and paid off new automobiles, and pension, paid house etc, could not co-sign a loan with me.  He simply had no credit history. No cards, nothing at all really.  There is a huge difference between having a credit card, having a loan, and having debt.

Think of it this way... You can easily build credit by getting a small credit card... One of those with a $300 limit, and then just use it to pay your electric or gas bill. Something that costs $100 a month.  Then, when you pay that bill, immediately pay the balance to the card the same day.  You don't get in debt, but you build a history.  Some may say this is not enough, but if you are just starting out, and credit cards intimidate, just use this method until you get your head about monthly balance vs total credit, vs available, etc.  

A loan on the other hand, is pure debt.  You don't get a loan to just pay it back immediately, but you PLAN it into your budget before you get it, therefore it is manageable.  Doing it this way shows that you can manage money.  It also builds credit history.

Be advised, opening a lot of accounts at once looks like desperation, and if you have an old account, and open a new one, your credit's "age" seems to be averaged between them.

Do you have active credit being reported?  Keep a small balance, like $10  on your cards to show credit activity.