How can I remove a derogatory mark after a state lien is released?
It's a little complicated.

I have an Illinois state lien shown as as released on my credit report, but it still comes up as a negative mark. This lien should never even have been applied, money was never owed to Illinois but they were missing a W-2 in the state filling (which shows the taxes were paid). Illinois doesn't file state liens until after three years, at which time the physical address where they were sending the request was incorrect. So, I didn't know about any of the issues until it was too late. I gave the state the W-2 and they released the lien. So, no money was ever owed but the lien release still shows up as negative.

To make matters worse, all of this is actually my now ex-wife's lien but I'm showing up as the primary as we filed married jointly that year. So I have a bad mark on my credit which not only shouldn't be there but it isn't even mine.

This clearly should not be happening, but Illinois doesn't care or offer assistance in coordinating with the credit bureaus. Suggestions?

Avellanas, this EXACT thing just happened to me as well!  :-/  My credit score plummeted 90 points overnight, which I discovered because I get monthly free FICO scores on two credit cards. When I looked into it, everything on the reports was the same except for the tax lien that had been added. What was truly bizarre was that the lien had been marked as "Satisfied" LAST year (even though it never should have existed as the taxes had been paid in full and on time). 

I too lived at another address during the year listed (2008), and even though these were state taxes in question, they'd listed the Office of the Prothonotary for the city where I used to live as the contact info. When I called them, they were singularly unhelpful, other than telling me I'd have to deal with the state to try and have it removed. 

Rather than try to negotiate the hideous maze of our state Treasury Dept., I e-mailed the whole story to my State Representative's office yesterday afternoon ... and OMG, they could not have been more helpful! The office staff person called me back IMMEDIATELY, assured me she was going to get on the phone RIGHT THEN to their Treasury Dept. liaison at the state capital, then called back 20 minutes later to say they were looking into it. She promised to call the next day and update me on any progress. So of course I'm now staring at my cell phone, willing it to ring, and hoping it's good news ... 

I can't guarantee it'll work, but it certainly makes things easier when you have someone to go to bat for you! Worth a try :-)