Question

Chase84

Has Credit Karma helped anyone improve their score?

Yes, by following my information on a daily basis I was able to increase my credit score 50 points by seeing that I had 1 bill in collection.  I called Transunion and it took some time but they did see that iut was not my bill, but belonged to VA Fee Basis.  Yesterday they remove it from my account and my score went up 50 points. 

not really i have allot better credit than they are showing me so whats up

JANAYAHARMON

I applied for a mortgage loan when my score was showing 646 on CK. When the Mortgage Co. pulled my 3 Bureau's, they were 630 (Equifax), 610 (Experian) and 589 (TRANSUNION)...YEA, THEY WERE THE LOWEST. Because of that faulse sense, I took a chane and lost. I was short by 10pts to qualify. Now their showing me a 653 and I still dont believe them...So whats the use. 

CK was a big help to me. by being able to check my reports easily, I knew at a glance what the 'problem areas' were on my bureau file. When the economy tanked after Y2K, my scores went from the mid 700's to under 500, in a matter of a year. I had defaulted on EVERYTHING and was flat busted broke.  

after a whole lotta time, and many letters to creditors and the bureaus, I was finally able to get the last bad line off my reports, by 2008. by 2009, I was able to get a new card thro cap one, and now by 2011, i now have my scores back over 700.

NO

NO, I don't know why or how, but mine has gone down 29 pts in 2 and half months. Worse: I haven't done anything to cause it.....wth?

In 10 months i've jumped 100 pts. I started the change by getting my 3 free reports from annualcreditreport.com. Comparing these, and learning about what truly affects a credit score, I was able to have a realistic understanding of where I was. I had a spotty repayment history, low number of credit accounts, a low avg age of my accounts, and no open lines of credit.

My first step was to fight and claw my way into a credit card with a low initial limit (interest rate was absurd, but 1. You have to start somewhere and can always negotiate after you've proven yourself with on time payments and 2. This wont matter if you pay all or nearly all of your balance in full.) Making these payments on time has helped tremendously. It's probably the biggest reason for my jump (currently 100% on time repayment history) Also, with the help of CK I found 2 derogatory marks on my credit; (unpaid parking tickets of all things!) paying them off also bumped my score. 

I use CK as my credit snapshot and as a general guide. I think the thing that people need to understand in rebuilding credit is patience. Using the credit report card and understanding how these items are related has led me to the conclusion that the only thing that will help my score now is time, measured in years! 100% on time payments, while increasing my avg. age on accounts, minimizing hard inquiries, and allowing and closed accounts to fall off is all that I can do.

The long and short of it is that Credit Karma makes taking control and understanding your credit situation easy and fun! I love this website!!

krisangelou1274

what kind of credit card to get n do i pay my old bills im confuse someone told me if u have old bills that r medical bills n they will fall off save ur $$$$. what should i do

CK is a great tool. It is free and a lot of us here talk in plain language so it is easy to understand. I like CK reviews and users reviews of the credit product.

My advice would be use credit karma, free annual credit reports, mint for daily tracking of the finances and flyer talk for good mileage offers.

I see the credit as an unneeded body weight. We ate all those readily accessible fatty and sweet stuff (credit card, loans, etc) over the course of years, now we need to put it under control (no more over spending) and then to gradually decrease it (and improve the credit score). It cannot happen overnight, but with a right discipline we will get there.

YES!!

I started with CreditKarma with a CS of 488, 6 month later I am at 529 and climbing!  They give lots of good advice and tips on how to manage your credit score, break down your different accounts and explain how they affect that score, and the recommendations for credit cards for rebuilding credit were great. (Capital One Secured Platinum is the best!) Being able to check my score on a regular basis is so invaluable.  Every little point is like winning another battle in the war on my low CS.  Good luck to you! 

Yes by over 50 pts... They provide of lot of useful suggestions, resources such as the credit score simulator, and beign able to see the effect of your score after different actions real life so to speak is educational.

g4g

Me too.  I hadn't really understood how the credit card utilization computations was badly damaging my credit rating.  I took their advice and my score went up 30 points in 6 weeks and I expect another bump in the next report due to more CK advice.

Yes my score has gone up 63 points since June and it was all a result of what I have learned through this site...thanks Credit Karma. 

it has actually helped me out with my credit score. I have started to look at the report card and figured out what the lenders are looking for in a credit score and in order to get financed. my score has already started to go up. It took along time to build up the debt and it will take a long time to pay it off but they set you in the right direction and it makes it easy to keep track of your progress. you just have to be willing to do the work yourself.