Question

newToTheUS

Build credit score with second credit card - no history
I am new to the U.S. and therefore have no credit history at all. I am employed here and my salary is good. I want to build credit history and therefore opened a secured credit card which I use responsibly (<= 10% utilization per month) since 2 months.

I found out today, that Citibank is offering a credit card for non residents based on a letter of employment which includes my salary. Still, they will do an inquiry on my credit score, if I apply for this card but it is very likely that it will get approved based on my salary.

I am wondering now, if it helps my credit score to open up a second credit card which I will use the same way (<= 10% utilization)?

My goal is, to have a good score and a good credit history. I do not plan currently to get a loan or something similar but I want to be prepared for the future.

What are the general effects on my score? I know, it will a first drop a bit because of the inquiry. But what next? Will it be higher because of two cards? The utilization in total will be the same.

Is a second credit card a good idea with a limited history and does it help build my score?