Question

Nator06

Auto Loan and my interesting situation
Long story short; I am about to graduate college and start paying bakc my student loans. I currently live at my parents but my career could take me some where where I need to purchase a home. I have some money in savings, a secured credit card, and fair (borderline poor) credit score and I really want to increase it. My car gets horrible gas mileage and is a beater car but works fine. If i purchase the car, after budgeting I would have about $500 dollars per month to save. If I don't buy the car I would have $800-$1000 dollars to save per month. I could purchase a home in a few years if I saved with purchasing the car but not have as large of a down payment. Should I wait on the car and save more for a house in a few years, but having my credit go stagnant (600), or buy the car increase my credit, but save less for a house?

With a 600 score it is very unlikely to get a mortgage.  It would be very logical to get a car loan for credit score improvments.  Very bad in the way of financial moves, because paying interest is never the best course in money managment.  If I were you I personally would get a car loan, but make it as low as possible. I would pay mostly cash for the car so your payments could be 100-200 a month, then pay off the loan within two years.

By doing this you have expanded your types of credit history as well as shown regular payments on a major purchase.

HOWEVER......with a 600 score you might have a very hard time getting a decent rate on a car loan, typically you need over 700 preferably over 750 score to get a good car loan.  Your first step would to be trying to get a non-secured credit card.  then maybe in a year try a car loan when you have a higher credit rating.

You will not HAVE to buy a house.  Most new graduates move several times before they settle down, and houses do not sell quickly in most cases.  Best to continue saving, build your credit score (read the articles on this site for good advice on that) and then, perhaps, consider a house.  There is nothing wrong with renting, especially since you won't have the concern of paying for home and appliance repairs when those.items belong to the landlord.