Editors’ take: Foremost auto insurance could be a good fit for someone interest in insuring multiple specialized vehicles. A part of Farmers Insurance Group, Foremost insures RVs, motorcycles, golf carts, ATVs and scooters. Additionally, high-risk drivers can get SR-22 or FR-44 forms through Foremost’s partner carrier, Bristol West. If you’re looking for a robust mobile app or an online quote experience, you may want to search elsewhere.
Foremost auto insurance at a glance
|Available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.
|J.D. Power customer satisfaction ratings
|How to get an insurance quote
|Talking to an agent by phone or in person
|How to submit a claim
|Online or via 24-hour hotline
- Multipolicy discounts available through partners
- Offers insurance for motorcycles, vintage cars, commercial vehicles and more
- SR-22 or FR-44 may be available
- No online quoting process
- Lackluster mobile app
What you need to know about Foremost auto insurance
Foremost was founded in 1952, and it started by insuring mobile homes. It expanded its offerings over the years to cover a wide range of vehicles, and today it’s a member of the Farmers Insurance Group. The company says that its focus is selling specialized types of insurance that aren’t widely available elsewhere.
Insures many types of vehicles
Foremost offers specialized policies for RVs, ATVs, golf carts, scooters, and motorcycles. It also offers coverage for collectible cars and commercial vehicles like trucks and delivery vans. So it can likely show you a policy tailored for the type of vehicle you drive, whether you’re a collector, hobbyist, or small-business owner.
May provide SR-22 or FR-44 certificate
Foremost partners with Bristol West to provide coverage to customers with infractions on their driving records. Bristol West will issue an SR-22 or FR-44 to customers who are required to get this certificate. Typically insurance companies view drivers who need an SR-22 or FR-44 as high-risk, so some carriers may not be eager to work with customers in this situation. Foremost might be a good choice if you’re searching for an insurance company that will provide this documentation.
Doesn’t give quotes online
Foremost requires you to call and talk to an agent to get an auto insurance quote. There’s no option to generate a quote automatically on the website, as competitors often allow you to do, which can make it difficult to comparison shop solely online.
Auto coverage offered by Foremost
Foremost offers standard types of coverage, plus a few less widely available options.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists — This protects you in case you get in an accident where an uninsured or underinsured driver is responsible.
- Rental reimbursement — This helps cover the cost of renting a car for a certain number of days after a claim.
- Towing and roadside service — If you have car trouble when you’re out driving, Foremost will pay for assistance up to a set limit for your policy.
- Bodily injury and property damage — These coverages help pay your legal liability if you’re found responsible for an accident.
- Medical payments — This coverage helps with medical bills if you’re hurt in an accident.
- Loan/lease — If you’re financing your car and it’s destroyed in an accident or lost to theft, this helps cover the gap between what you owe on the loan or lease and what your insurance pays.
- New vehicle replacement — If a new car is totaled, this coverage helps with the purchase of a comparable car.
- Diminishing deductible — This lowers your annual deductible if you avoid comprehensive or collision claims.
Auto insurance discounts offered by Foremost
Foremost lists just a few auto insurance discounts on its website. There’s no obvious mention on the site that we could find of some of the discounts that are standard among competitors’ offerings, such as discounts for safety equipment, good student discounts, or discounts for avoiding accidents.
Here are the discounts mentioned on the Foremost website.
- Paperless discount — You can save on your premium if you opt to receive bills and documents by email.
- Multicar discount — Your premium might be lower if you buy coverage for more than one car.
- Multipolicy discount — You may qualify for savings if you buy other insurance policies, like homeowners insurance or life insurance, from Farmers Group companies.
The discounts available may depend on your location and the company that underwrites your policy. You’ll need to talk to an agent to get more complete information about possible discounts.
FAQs about Foremost
Yes, Foremost is a real insurance company and a member of the Farmers group of insurers. It’s been in business since 1952, and it’s licensed in all states and Washington, D.C.
Foremost could be a good choice for high-risk drivers because it partners with Bristol West, which is willing to insure drivers with checkered driving histories. Bristol West offers SR-22 or FR-44 certificates, so it can help drivers who need this documentation because they’ve received a DUI conviction, caused an accident while uninsured or committed serious traffic offenses.
Not sure if Foremost auto insurance is right for you? Consider this alternative.
- Root: This insurance company could be ideal if you’re confident you drive safely and want a telematics-based quote.