In a NutshellRideshare car insurance often works as an endorsement or add-on to your personal auto insurance policy, filling gaps in coverage provided by rideshare companies. We rank our picks for the best rideshare car insurance based on coverage options, discounts and customer service.
Rideshare companies, like Uber and Lyft, provide driver insurance that offers the most coverage when you’re on the way to pick up a customer and when they’re in your car. While waiting to accept a ride, you may have liability-only coverage that provides no protection for your vehicle.
To fill in coverage gaps, rideshare insurance is a type of coverage that may be added to your personal auto policy as an endorsement (also known as a “rider”). Although it may not be required, the extra coverage can give you peace of mind and lower your out-of-pocket costs if you get into an accident.
- Best overall: Progressive
- Best for customer satisfaction: State Farm
- Best for driver discounts: Farmers
- Best for service members and veterans: USAA
- Best for claims processing: Allstate
Best overall: Progressive
Why Progressive stands out above the rest: Progressive offers numerous protection options to cover periods when you’re waiting for a trip, including comprehensive coverage, collision coverage and personal injury protection for you and your car. Progressive’s rideshare endorsement may also cover you when making deliveries for services like DoorDash and Instacart.
- Roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement: If your personal car insurance policy has roadside assistance and reimbursements for rentals when your car is in the shop, that coverage will extend to protect you while ridesharing.
- Deductible reimbursement: Deductibles are often high for rideshare company coverage when it’s in effect. Progressive’s deductible reimbursement feature pays you the difference between your rideshare company’s deductible and your personal deductible. Say your rideshare company insurance has a deductible of $1,000 after you get into an accident, but your personal policy has a deductible of $500. Progressive would pay you $500.
- Wide availability: Progressive rideshare car insurance is an option in most states, but it’s not currently available in Alaska, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Kansas, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon or Vermont.
Best for customer satisfaction: State Farm
Why State Farm could be a good choice for customer satisfaction: State Farm ranks among the top five insurance companies for customer satisfaction in multiple U.S. regions, according to J.D. Power’s 2023 U.S. Auto Insurance Study. Ranking highly in this study means a good number of customers have given the company high marks on the billing process, claims, policy offerings, price and interaction.
- Coverage for your car and injuries: State Farm can fill in insurance gaps by providing comprehensive, collision and medical coverage (if you’ve selected these coverages on your personal auto policy) to protect you and your vehicle if you get into an accident before you accept a ride while your app is on.
- Transparent pricing: State Farm states that adding rideshare car insurance to a personal policy may increase your policy premiums by about 15% to 20%.
- Safe driving discounts: When you download State Farm’s Drive Safe & Save app to monitor your driving, you may qualify for discounts if you practice safe driving habits.
Best for discounts: Farmers
Why Farmers could be a good choice for discounts: Rideshare car insurance at Farmers is an add-on to a personal insurance policy, and personal policies come with a wide range of discount options. Farmers’ website lists 22 discount opportunities, including discounts for automatic insurance payments, paying in full and having anti-theft alarms.
- High claims satisfaction: Farmers ranks above the industry average for claims satisfaction, according to J.D. Power’s 2022 claims satisfaction survey.
- Safe driving rewards: You can download and turn on the Signal by Farmers app to track how you’re driving — and if you drive safely, you could get entered into drawings to win rewards worth up to $100. You may also get a discount when you sign up or renew.
- Wide availability: In 2021, Farmers announced expanding the availability of its rideshare coverage to 36 states.
Best for service members and veterans: USAA
Why USAA could be a good choice for service members and veterans: USAA is a bank that caters to military members and their families, and it consistently ranks highly for customer satisfaction among all major insurance providers.
- Car repair warranties: If you get into an accident and choose to make car repairs at one of USAA’s preferred centers, the repairs come with a lifetime warranty.
- Wide availability: Rideshare coverage is available in most states except Hawaii, North Carolina, Michigan, Montana, New Mexico, New York, South Carolina and Virginia.
- Membership limitations: To be eligible for USAA products, you must be active military, retired, honorably discharged or be a family member of a military service member.
Best for claims processing: Allstate
Why Allstate could be a good choice for claims processing: If you get into an accident, you can quickly take pictures of damage, file claims and track claims processing using Allstate’s app. Customers also rate Allstate’s claims process higher than the industry average.
- Deductible gap coverage: Allstate provides deductible gap coverage of up to $2,500 that reimburses you for the difference between your rideshare company’s insurance deductible and your personal insurance deductible.
- Limited coverage information: Aside from gap coverage, Allstate shares few details on its website about the specific protection available for the rideshare endorsement, so you’ll have to call an agent to explore options.
- Safe driving rewards: If you sign up for Allstate’s Drivewise program, you can win points for safe driving that may be redeemed for perks, such as daily deals, gift cards and merchandise.
FAQs about rideshare insurance
Uber provides rideshare insurance to drivers. The type and amount of coverage depends on which of the following two categories you fall into at the time of the accident.
● While waiting for a ride request, Uber offers bodily injury and property damage protection that covers the other party in the accident (not you or your vehicle).
● While en route to pick up a rider and during trips, drivers get third-party liability coverage and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Plus, your car may be protected by comprehensive and collision coverage up to the value of your car with a $2,500 deductible.
Rideshare car insurance might cover you when driving for a delivery service like Instacart, Grubhub or DoorDash, but you should check with your insurance agent and read through your policy to confirm the coverage.
The cost of rideshare insurance depends on the insurance company, the coverage options chosen and the coverage limits. For a ballpark figure, State Farm says that adding the rideshare endorsement to one of its policies can increase premiums by about 15% to 20%, but you’ll get the best sense of how much insurance will cost by shopping around to check rates.
How we picked these insurers
We looked at insurance companies that provide rideshare protection and ranked them by coverage options, discount opportunities, availability and customer satisfaction scores.