Question

Nitidious

Authorized User Help
Authorized User Help

Hi all! I’ve been around credit for almost a year and a half now. I’m 20, and so far, I have a BofA Cash Back, a Capital One Plat, and a Amex EveryDay. I want to add my fiancé to my Amex card, to try to help her build a better score. I won’t get into much, but her credit history was very bad, involving a family member. Score(s) wise, she’s in high 4xx, while I’m low 7xx. Will it affect me in any way if she has/had a bad credit history if I add her? and also, while I’m at it, will it be the same way around for me? She has a Discover Cash Back card, and her grandma suggested I should be added so that I can get an even bigger credit limit number in my FICO report. I appreciate all the help!

DON'T DO IT

Let her get a secured credit card to build her credit.  She can ruin you.  It takes years to build a good credit history and a few hours to destroy it.

Think two steps ahead

While I cannot argue with the first two responses, I must point out that they are either short-sighted, or there is a small detail missing.  You can add her as an authorized user, and just ensure that the new card is delivered to you , and you destroy it.  End of story.  She will benefit from your score, and you know that no damage can be done to you.  Just don't tell her.  The "added user card" is going to be delivered to the primary account holder address, if memory serves correctly.

OhioBoater

BTW - being a survivor of a BK due to the ex-spouse's activities (before the divorce), the other participants offer good advice.  Think long and hard.

A small piece of hard advice: Not until the marriage certificate is signed. Too many times, poor suckers everywhere (male and female) get left with a mountain of debt that got ran up right up until the " fiancé " suddenly becomes the "ex", then ghosts you when it comes time to pay the bill. This advice works in both directions, by the way.
--

Now on a practical level, adding her as an authorized user will not drop your score, but it will still make you ultimately liable for all the debts that get run up on that card, and you have no say as to where or when she uses that card.

Don't add your fiancè to ANYTHING. Wait until she is your WIFE. If she's pushing you to do this YOU NEED TO RUN NOT WALK AWAY FROM HER.

Harry7900

She told you her crappy credit score is due to a "family member"? Yeah - it's always someone else's fault isn't it? She can't face you with her own financial irresponsibility? You need to dump her like a bad habit unless you want her, as a WIFE to ruin you financially - and ruin you in other ways too.