2.7

Dec 01, 2010

I was approved with a starting limit of only $200 in January 2010.? Then in May 2010 they increased it to $1,500!!.? This sudden credit limit baffled me being a card holder for only 4 months. At the time my credit score was 680.? This Card is issued by GE Money Bank. It carries and interest rate of 26.99%.? **** Keep in mind on any credit card you are approved for try to never go over using 35% of? the available credit.? For example if your approved for $1000 limit only utilize $350. This keeps your credit score up and reduces the risk of your limit possibly being lowered and ending up in a maxed out status.

Jul 10, 2016
Company will turn on you fast...

JCpenny was great at first, gave me a high credit limi when I was 18 years old. They increased my credit limit every 2-3 months, which was great and helped build my credit. Loved the discounts and treatment I got when I shopped at JCPenny and they knew I had a JCPenny credit card. Also it was great being able to use my JCPenny credit card at CVS pharmacy. Now the bad part, I had the card for a good 3-4 years, used it at least 4-5 times per year. I had a credit limit of $7,500 and had a balance of $1,100. I missed ONE SINGLE payment by 5 days and they instantly dropped my credit limit from $7,500 to my exact balance, $1,100. It now showed on my credit report that I was using 100% of my credit limit which dropped my credit score a good 30-40 points at the time. Also my APR went from 14% to 24% overnight. So after years of using their card and paying on time, I miss one pyment by a few days and rather than slapping me with a late fee they totally throw my credit report out of whack, lower my credit limit, and raise my APR. I was speechless. I paid off my balance in 2-3 months and have not used my cad since.

Jan 31, 2019
Was applying

I was applying for this card because I love JC Penney. But after reading all these reviews I afraid to even get myself into a situation that I worked so hard to get out because of my youth years. I'm not going back that route thank you everyone.

Dec 05, 2018
Care nothing for their customers

I opened and closed this within about a months time period. I know my credit will take a hit, but it's just not worth keeping a card where they care SO little about their customers.?

Aug 29, 2018
Destroys Credit Score

I used this card once. I only spent $460 and then paid it off before they billed me. My credit score dropped drastically. I am never using this card again.

Aug 09, 2018
Stay away

Raised my credit in May of 2018 and dropped it drastically in August of 2018. They planned on dropping it to 100 dollars but i owed more then that. Made my credit score drop drastically... I thought they was great at first but this is ridiculous... I've never missed a payment and always paid double...

Jun 22, 2018

I was approved 3 months ago $200 limited. I paid on time plus paid it in full. I check my account to find out they closed my account. Customer service said they couldn't tell me over the phone for my protection. REALLY What are you protecting me from if you closed my account. I thought I was doing good by paying on time and paying in full. I am so disappointed WITH YOU JC PENNYS . I have to wait for my letter to come to see why they did that. ????????

Jun 15, 2018

I must confess that I would look at reviews about credit cards with a chip on my shoulder thinking, ?well if that person had been more responsible that would have never happened? or ?this person clearly doesn?t know how to care for their credit?. Not anymore. JCPenney is super harmful to your credit even if you do all of the right things. Go on vacation and raise a few of your cards balances high? If this happens before one of their reviews you will be sorry. And Underwriting will not help you. ?They will do a review periodically on your credit. If they see High balances they will drop your Credit limit to whatever your balance is or $100 ?This in turn gives you another High balance and affects your overall Debt-to-income ratio. So that the next time they do a review it will happen again. Pay the card off and close it. It is more harmful to your credit than good. Paying off in full and trying to let it ?sit? will not help. They will close it then because of ?non-use?. Better to pay it off quickly before it has another chance to affect your debt-to-income ratio and close it at your request than to have it closed at the credit grantors request.?

May 31, 2018
Dropped my credit limit tremendously

I have had this card for 15 years.? $6000 limit dropped to $963 in 18 months after paying the card off.? I understand companies can drop the limit without notice, but to drop mine that significantly is ridiculous.

May 25, 2018
SHOULD BE LESS THAN ONE STAR

I recieved this card when I worked for JCPenney and you pretty much were expected to apply and have a card while working there. WORST DECISION. I had absolutely no credit and could not get approved for the card until I started working for JCPenneys. After JCPenney had me leave my payments increased (which I couldn't make due to losing a job). When I called the card company due to recieving notice that my account had been sent to a collection agency they told me they could set up payment plans for me. I paid the first two months then started receiving collection calls to which I called the company back and THEY DENIED ever setting up a payment plan stating that they do not do that. I asked to speak to a supervisor and he just repeated the same information over and over. They also will NOT let me cancel my card. My credit has dropped tremendously from what it was when I first received the card. So much so that I cant get approved for student loans and my FAFSA loans keep dropping. OH also all of the customer service agents I have spoke to do not speak english as a first language and you can hardly understand them. DO NOT EVER RECOMMEND.

May 16, 2018
Terrible

Closed my account without notice saying my credit score dropped to a 578 and I had a collection filed possibly. Both are false! I called credit union myself and they said they don?t see a 578 and that it never dropped to that. I told jcpenney and they didn?t care. They said it can?t be undone. But I?m like it?s wrong on your part. Again. They don?t care. I could have gotten a warning. Even my credit limit reduced. No they close my account making my credit score drop and me look like I am irresponsible.? ? Jcpenney you Suck. Did you even take into consideration that Transunion might have had a data breech? What an awful excuse of a company.?

May 03, 2018

Closed my account without notice!