Question

LochNessMonstah

Why was a debt removed from my account even though I didn't pay it?
I had a collections agency after me for awhile regarding a property that I left. The property management claimed I owed a bunch of money but they wouldn't come up with any proof (estimates or receipts) of any of the work done that they "claimed" I owed them compensation for. I guess they hired a collections agency and they contacted me in January. Keep in mind, it's already been 5 years since I left the property. The collections agency put a collections account on my credit and then they told me they'd reduce the amount I owed and they'd take a settlement for almost half of what I owed. I said I would be willing to pay if they showed proof, but still have received nothing. I sent them a letter requesting proof of the debt I owe, and still haven't heard anything. I checked my credit report and all of a sudden that collections account has been removed. I disputed it originally when it was put on my credit, but the credit reporting agency said that it was a legit debt and they weren't going to remove it. Did the collections agency remove it? And if so, does anyone have any speculations as to why? Did I spook them? Did they realize they really don't have proof? Are they planning on taking me to court? Did the credit reporting agency realize that it wasn't legit? I don't know what to think, and frankly, I'm a bit bothered by it. Like the calm before the storm kind of thing. Has anyone else dealt with this before? I'm baffled.