Question

bsdegreeman

Why do credit reporting agencies have different ranges for credit scores?
I am trying to get a car loan and applied first at the dealership, didn't like the rates being offered, and reapplied from my bank.

What's really weird is that, when the bank pulled my score from Experian, the total range of the score was between the usual 300-850 but when the dealership pulled from Experian, the score's range was between 250-900. What gives? How could the same agency have two different scales?

Most Helpful Response

It's due to different scoring models and not all scoring models created equally. The industry specific FICO 8 score models go up to 900, like Bankcard(credit cards) and Auto enhanced scores which is what your dealership pulled.

Some older FICO like Transunion FICO Score 4 has range of 309~839, Equifax FICO Score 5 has range of 334~818, Experian FICO Score 2 has range of 320~844, even here earlier in the year, Credit Karma uses Vantage version 2 score which goes up to 990. That's why we see so many people complaining here, "how come my score is different here than I got from some where else."