Question

PandaNieves24

Which student loans should I pay off first? Subsidized or un-subsidized?
I am not sure which one to pay first. Can someone help? Also, are there any well qualified consolidation agencies that anyone would recommend. Any info would help. Every time I think of my student loans, it just puts me in a bad mood. So any uplifting info will greatly be appreciated.

Most Helpful Response

Best thing to do is set up a direct payment through your checking at the very minimum. This will do a couple of things:

1) Make sure you never miss a payment. Missed payments on student loans is how I destroyed my credit right out of school.

2) Allows you to pay extra as you are able and save cash for other things as needed.

3) Allows you to pay off high interest loans first. No use putting extra money toward a 2.35% loan when your 6.8% loans are still open.

Call Crest at 469-619-0644 and they can help you with these.  Lots of great new programs available, you may qualify for zero monthly payment.  No cost to check it out.

I graduated law school last May with one subsidized Stafford loan and two unsubsidized Stafford loan.

My subsdized loan had a principal of $8,500. Unfortunately, the subsidized program ended after my first year of law school. My two unsubsidized loans had a prinicpal amount of just over $20,000 each.

My loan servicer is Nelnet. I have setup my account to autopay each month. Above and beyond the minimum payment to each of the three loans, I pay an additional payment fro my subsidized loan because it is the lowest balance. Once I have the subsized loan paid off, I can take what I was paying for the subsdized loan, both the minimum required payment and what I was paying extra, and apply that to my next lowest balance. This should speed up how quickly I pay off my loans.

If you are still in school, interest is not accruing on you subsidized loan. If you can make a payment, pay as much as you can each month toward your unsubdized loan(s) so that the unsubsidized loan(s) will accrue less in interest.