Question

Poohbear00722

What do properties management companies/apartments complexes look for on a credit report?
My boyfriend and I are looking toget an apartmet together. He makes a good income and has good credit while I make a smaller income and have poor credit due to some mistakes I made a few years back...no evictions or anything like that, just unpaid credit cards) I know we meet the income requirement of 2.7x the monthly rent but I'm concerned that my poor credit score will prevent us from getting the apartment.
Do they look at the overall score or do they look for specific things?

Most Helpful Response

They look at whether you pay your bills on time. Sounds like you don't and your BF does. I think it will be up to decretion of the property management company whether to ignore your credit or not. 

First time to rent together?

They will look more carefully if you and your boyfriend have not lived together before.  They cannot predict whether you will break up and one of you move out in the middle of the lease.  Does your BF's income by itself meet the minimum income requirement or is both of your incomes needed to meet that requirement?  They will also look for unpaid rent, evictions, property damage at previous rental properties for either of you alone or with another friend.  They will also do a criminal background check.  Most apartment complexes managed by a big corporation will be less flexible.  So if you have something that might show up in background or credit check that would prevent you from renting, look for apartment complex that is locally owned and managed. Those managers came be more flexible and forgiving about early mistakes in your young life.