Question

mgt1981

Verizon wont remove information from my credit report
This residential account with Verizon was closed in November of 2014 at which time I paid the balance on the account that the customer service representative gave me over the phone and moved on with my new provider.

I received no further communication from Verizon regarding any remaining balance that existed between when the account was closed and April 2015. In late April of 2015 I received a letter from a bill collector stating that the account was now overdue and in collections. I had never received any bill or notification of a balance so I called Verizon and spoke to a manager. I asked why I had never received a bill and after some investigation Verizon found that the emailed bills to me had not went through due to a systems error on their side. I explained that I was told I had no balance when the account was closed and went under that assumption until I received the letter from the debt collector. I also immediately paid the balance due on my account. However the Verizon rep stated that they could not remove any of the negative marks from my credit report and I would I need to speak to a manager. Verizon told me that a manager would call me back and I never heard back from them.

The problem is that now there is an item on my credit report listed as "collections paid in full" that caused my credit score to drop drastically and this is now preventing me from getting a mortgage.

From when the account was closed in Fall until I received the letter in April I received no notice of any balance. The second I got the notice from the collection agency I immediately paid the balance. There is no reason that this should be on my account as a negative mark and Verizon is not willing to do anything to remove this from my account.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding what to do ?

If the error was in fact on Verizon's end, then I would contact them once more and try to find the person that can help you, spend a day on the phone trying to reach the correct person with Verizon if need be. If they still refuse to make it right, then contact a consumer lawyer right away to see what your options are.